ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: acyclovir shortage?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm 

What's up with the apparent acyclovir shortage? When I contacted my preferred independent pharmacy here in Maine to refill my prescription for a month's worth of 400 mg pills (I take two a day to suppress outbreaks), they told me their supplier hadn't been able to provide it to them for some time and that I should seek another pharmacy for this transaction. I tried a chain pharmacy in another town and they told me they also had been unable to get 400 mg acyclovir for a while, although they had 200 mg pills. Another chain pharmacy was able to do my refill. What's going on in the pharmaceutical world? Do we need to seek some alternative medication? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: acyclovir shortage?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:46 am 

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/Dru ... 050792.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 am 
Site Admin

The shortage seems to be hitting some parts of the country more than others. The west coast seems to be particularly affected, as I've heard of issues in California and Oregon.

CDC has an alert about this, too. Here's what we put on the ASHA site about a week or so ago:

CDC Reports Regional Shortages of Common Herpes Medication

On January 26, 2010 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a notice about shortages in the U.S. of the antiviral drug acyclovir. A long-standing treatment option for genital herpes (and other conditions such as shingles), acyclovir is a generic drug valued by many patients for its low cost.

Acyclovir availability may vary by region, as some reports indicate the impact is especially acute on the west coast. The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) attributes the shortage to a combination of increased demand for the drug and manufacturing delays. ASHA president Lynn Barclay points out that patients who take acyclovir for genital herpes and reside in affected regions have few options other than more costly medications. “Acyclovir is a safe, effective, inexpensive treatment option both for those with short- and long-term prescriptions. We’re optimistic the supply issue will be resolved soon, but we understand how difficult this must be for patients who need therapy for herpes but are temporarily unable to access their regular prescription.”

Barclay notes that while legitimate over-the-counter products are available for oral herpes outbreaks (cold sores) exist, there are no FDA-approved medications available without a prescription to treat genital herpes. “Beware ‘miracle cures,’ as there are many non-regulated items sold online that claim to reduce or eliminate herpes outbreaks,” she says. “We know such products might be tempting for someone who has trouble refilling a prescription, but we stress in the strongest possible terms not to use anything to treat genital herpes without first checking with your health care provider or pharmacist.”

In addition to acyclovir, other antivirals approved to treat genital herpes include valacyclovir (available under the brand name Valtrex®) and famciclovir (marketed as Famvir®).

For the latest on the status of acyclovir, visit the CDC's website. Information is available from the FDA as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 pm 

Apparently unavailable in the midwest, too...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm 

teva is shipping a lot this week - shortage should be over soon :)

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 am 

Still unavailable at several pharmacies in Austin Texas...pharmacist warned a few months ago it was coming to this. Are there online pharmacies where it might b available, anyone know?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:21 pm 

I know in the past folks dealt with drugplace.com and had good results. 1-877-599-8050 is their toll free number. Not sure what they are charging for acyclovir nowadays but they used to be very reasonable.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 am 

physician jobs @ http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/Dru ... 050792.htm

Teva seems to be linked to a lot of the shortages even now. I have heard of acyclovir being held back for health reasons about a year back, maybe this is what happened during this thread? The reason I am reviving this thread is to express my concern about Teva. I was quite astonished to see their name attached to so many shortages.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm 

no, it wasn't available due to any particular concerns about the safety of the drug, it was due to shortages of the ingredients used to make the medication.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:22 pm 

I believe the shortage is pretty much over now. I know I haven't had the delays in getting my acyclovir that I was having for awhile.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]