ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing for hepatitis b
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:01 pm 

i recently found out that my ex-boyfriend has hepatitis b. i found this out through a mutual friend and haven't spoken to my ex directly or anything. i'm wondering when he may have had it and if i could've gotten it from him. the last time we were together was a little over two months ago. if i get tested for this now, will it show up? what if it's positive, is there treatment? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:33 am 

Hi Labrat,

As you may have read on ASHA's website, hepatitis B is most commonly transmitted in adults through sexual contact (unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex). That's because the hepatitis B virus can be found in bodily fluids like semen, blood and vaginal secretions. If your ex-boyfriend was infected with hepatitis B when you were together, it is possible that you could have been exposed through sexual activity.

As you've guessed, it does take some time for the infection to be detectable. It can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for a person to develop antibodies to hepatitis B. Tests that detect these bodies can help determine whether or not a person has been exposed, and whether or not an infection is acute (and will resolve in a matter of time) or chronic (ongoing with potentially serious health complications). Since you mention that more than two months have passed since you and your ex have been in contact, you can ask your provider about testing at this time.

If your test is negative, you may want to ask your provider about hepatitis B vaccination. Consistent and correct condom use is an excellent way to reduce your risk of contracting hep B and other sexually transmitted infections, but vaccination is your best protection.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm 

The hepatitis B vaccine series can be acquired for minimal cost depending on your insurance. I'm getting mine through work for free, but my mom is having my brother vaccinated through our family doctor and they only have to make the co-pay for the doctor visit. It's an investment worth making, especially when it comes to things like this. I also know they offer them at.. I guess they're called free clinics? My ex got his series for free through a clinic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:01 am 

Hello...
Hepatitis B is a disease caused by HBV hepatitis B virus which infects the liver of hominoidae, including humans, and causes an inflammation called hepatitis. Originally known as "serum hepatitis", the disease has caused epidemics in parts of Asia and Africa, and it is endemic in China. About a third of the world's population, more than 2 billion people, have been infected with the hepatitis B virus.This includes 350 million chronic carriers of the virus. Transmission of hepatitis B virus results from exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]