ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chlamydia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:59 pm 

Hi,
i was diagnosed with chlamydia a few weeks ago. ive taken the medication that was prescribed but i have not had any sexual relations since. im still afraid to get infected again. i know that it is curable but i know that one of the syptoms is that i could possibly not have children later down the road. this scares me to death because ive always wanted children. ive read that infertility happens if it is left untreated. my question is how long is it left untreated for it to cause infertility? how do you know if that is the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi MsLopez,

Infertility associate with untreated chlamydia can sometimes be an issue if the infection spreads to the upper genital tract and causes a condition known as Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or PID. Usually this involves scarring of the fallopian tubes and some pelvic pain.

If there was no upper genital tract infection, there is not likely to be any issue with fertility. You can ask your doctor is they noticed any evidence of this, but it's likely they would have mentioned it if they did.

Read more about PID at http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_pid.cfm

Hope this helps. Post anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:12 am 

Also, why don't you try having your own rapidtests kits. It's affordable and you can guarantee a good result. Goodluck!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]