ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chlamydia Reinfection?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm 

I recently found out that I had Chlamydia and was treated with a single dose of four antibiotic pills. My boyfriend was treated with the same medication 24 hours after I was and we made sure to abstain from sex for almost TWO weeks after he had taken his. After this we began to use condoms again to be safe, but we had one break last weekend. I am starting to feel the symptoms again and am worried that I either still have it or got it again when the condom broke. My question is what are some reasons of why I may have it again/still? I know that I have not been with anyone else, and I really trust him so I'm trying to think if there may be other reasons I have it such as medications not working, using tampons while being treated, etc? I have made an appointment with the doctor but I'd like some advice in the meantime, and in case she isn't allowed to make those kind of assumptions or something. Please help, I really just want this to be gone and need to know if it's possible that something just went wrong with the treatment, or if I should be concerned that my boyfriend may be cheating... =(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Clearity,

Thanks for your post. Chlamydia treatment is pretty good, 97%-98% effective in curing the infection. It sounds as if you've done everything by the book re: treatment for both of you and waiting at least a week after treatment before having sex. There's not much info out there about tampon use and chlamydia; it doesn't seem likely that would cause a treated infection to persist.

Of course, your symptoms might be similar to what you experienced with chlamydia yet be related to something else....or maybe the chlamydia infection caused some irritation/inflammation. You're doing the best thing by going back to your doctor. If you don't mind, let us know what you find out.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]