ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Post subject: Retirement Accounts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:44 pm 

So how bad is your 401K? Mine's down, like, 30%. It would be worse but I had some of the money in bonds instead of just all in stocks.

I'm scared to keep investing, but scared not to. What are you doing?

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Taken a hit here, too. I'm still investing, though, staying in well diversified index funds. Little real estate and some bonds mixed in.

Hang in there. We'll surely all be rich in the end...right?

Fredo :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:51 pm 

I couldn't resist this topic! I'm all over the place and taking some risks. I have a long time before I retire. I'm in balanced funds, stocks, money markets, and bonds. Then a separate brokerage with a few choice stocks that are really risky. Fannie and Freddie, they're under a dollar. The mortgage industry is sure to bounce back one day and I'm gonna make some money. Surprisingly I've made a few bucks on Ford also, bought it at close to 2 bucks; its been over 4 bucks as of late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I couldn't resist this topic! I'm all over the place and taking some risks. I have a long time before I retire. I'm in balanced funds, stocks, money markets, and bonds. Then a separate brokerage with a few choice stocks that are really risky. Fannie and Freddie, they're under a dollar. The mortgage industry is sure to bounce back one day and I'm gonna make some money. Surprisingly I've made a few bucks on Ford also, bought it at close to 2 bucks; its been over 4 bucks as of late.

You are very savvy in these matters, it seems! Good for you. I'm jealous of your Ford purchase; wouldn't have touched that one but it doubled for you!

I've been laying off individual stocks for awhile, plowing money instead into funds I have in my 401k and Roth IRA. I still believe in the stock market and remain an unapologetic capitalist!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:33 pm 

LOL You guys are on the ball with this stuff. I just select the option in my plan that's based on age and try not to think about it beyond that. Except when I get my quarterly statements!