ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Post subject: Books
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 am 

So I'm trying to get into reading again.
I read a lot of books, articles, etc for school but would like to read something else for the summer.

My library is composed of Stephen King books, mystery novels, books like "Crime and Punishment," and a LOT of psychology books. I do have other variations like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc -

Anybody know of a good read?

Right now I'm starting on "Damaged Goods: Women Living w/ Incurable Sexually Transmitted Diseases." But I really want something that will distract me from that lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm 

Hmmm....something lighter than "damaged goods" , well gee, however will we come up with something for you? he he he

I can't think of a better summer beach read than the janet evanovich stephanie plum series myself! They start at "one for the money" and book 15 is coming out in june. Gal loses her job as an underwear buyer for a department store and ends up being a bounty hunter. Of course she pretty much sucks at it but it's all set in new jersey and has 2 hunks of men in it with lots and lots of laughter!! The kind of books you sit and laugh out loud in public while you are reading them :)

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen - hilarious book that I also laughed out loud reading. Sat next to a bomb demolition expert for the gov't on a plane once and he was reading it and kept laughing out loud too.

The harry dresden series by jim butcher is another fav of mine. Think harry potter 20 years later all alone in the world and still trying to do good.

J.F. Freedman's books are always good - lawyer/murder type books. He writes similar to john grisham and scott turow if you are fans of their books. John Lescroart is another author who writes similar themed books. mary Scottoline's books are also really good lawyer type books too.

Hope when you look up some of those you find something that appeals to you :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm reading a Daniel Silva novel, Prince of Fire. Espionage thriller, agents from Mossad - the Israei intelligence service - dueling with terrorists around the world. He has a series of similar-themed books, all featuring the world weary art restorer/spy Gabriel Allons. Now there's a career combination...

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Fire-Daniel-Silva/dp/0451215737/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242910080&sr=1-1

Trying to make my way through Warlord, which covers Winston Churchill's early life in the British army and later as First Lord of the Admiralty and eventually wartime prime minister.

http://www.amazon.com/Warlord-Life-Winston-Churchill-1874-1945/dp/0060575735/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242910117&sr=1-1

Sometimes I think a life spent primarily reading and discussing books would not be wasted.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:22 am 

I just read the Twilight series and loved it.
Also, my sister's keeper was excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:35 pm 

I just finished The Road, byCormack Mcarthy, getting ready to hit theaters. I read a lot of World War II books, so that keeps me from really helping out much. I would also recommened an author by the name of James Rollins, Mystery/mild sci-fi. Very good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't read any of Cormac's novels but I'd probably like them. The movie coming out based on his book The Road might be good, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 pm 

I really recommend cormac's books Fred. it takes a little getting used to his style sometimes but I"ve read several of them now and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

I have the all the pretty horse's trilogy here to read. really should tackle that one of these days.

betsy