ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oral Warts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:03 pm 

I had oral sex with someone who then told me they had genital warts. Now i think i may have some warts under my tongue. Do i need to go to a doctor to have this checked out or can the dentist do the same thing? I am almost to embarrassed to go to the doctor i feel more confortable seeing my dentist.

Also having oral warts, am i likely to spread them to others just be kissing them, i heard they only rarely develope in the mouth.

I was also wondering if how common it is for the hand to be a vehicle for warts? Because i did masterbaute after rubbing her clitoris.

Would the doctor be able to tell me if i have warts on my genitals or do i need sypmtoms for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Ze,

Welcome to our message boards. Your dentist should be able to help you but if not, a general practice health care provider (doctor, nurse, physician's assistant) will likely be able to evaluate your symptoms. There is no specific test for genital warts that is widely used, or approved, for men: "screening" for warts usually consists of a visual inspection.

Genital HPV is transmitted through direct skin to skin contact when an infected area comes into direct contact with mucous membranes or the delicate skin of the genital area. This can occur through genital to genital contact, vaginal and anal sex. Genital HPV transmission through hand contact may be possible but is not regarded as common.

The exact risks of contracting HPV through oral sex are currently unknown. It may be possible to contract HPV through performing oral sex, though the mouth appears to be a less hospitable environment for HPV than the genital area. Each type of HPV tends to infect a specific skin area, making it unlikely for genital types of HPV to become established and create disease orally. Research shows that it is uncommon for HPV to be found in the mouth in the form of warts (or lesions). A common recommendation is not to perform oral sex on a partner with genital HPV while lesions are present.

We have no information on HPV tranmission via kissing if warts are in fact present in the mouth, but a "common sense" approach of not kissing or performing oral sex while warts are present seems like a good idea.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have questions after visiting your dentist or doctor.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]