ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:40 pm 

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with genital warts. My doc is in the process of cryotherepy.. I have been for 3 treatments already and it doesn't seem to have had a change for the better or worse. Im starting to get a lil worried. Is there somthing that works better, more efficient? I mean I know it varies with every person, but there must be something with a high success rate? I've googled remedies of course, but there are so many different treatments out there and they all come with their success stories. It's the internet tho.. im sure there are alot of scams too and I really don't have the money to waste on false products. I'm lost I don't know what to use. I feel horribly disgusting and utterly hopeless..

please help?

Male, age: 26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hello disarray,

Welcome to our message boards; I've very glad you found us.

I'm sorry to hear of how difficult this has all been for you, and you're certainly not alone in feeling the way you do, believe me. The emotional and self-esteem impact of dealing with HPV can be very hard, and there aren't always enough resources to help with that. Keep in mind that HPV is very common, with researchers estimating that 75-80% of sexually active Americans (that's not a typo) contract the virus at some point. An HPV diagnosis isn't a reflection on you, your character, or your choices. It simply means that like so many others, you've been exposed to a common virus.

There are a number of approaches to treat genital warts, none of which is regarded universally as the best for all cases. Cryotherapy, where a health care professional used liquid nitrogen to "freeze" tissue containing the warts, is very common and can take several rounds to work. Review treatment options at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7. Sometimes "at home" prescription creams are used, either alone or along with the treatment done in the clinic, and some cases require out-patient surgical techniques to remove the warts (scalpel excision, for example). Ask your health care provider if more cryo is indicated or if there are other options suitable for you they can discuss.

Be careful of any product available online that you can obtain without a prescription that claims to treat genital warts. To our knowledge, such items are not part of most standard treatment guidelines (such as CDC's) and we strongly urge you to consult with a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist first.

Review the discussion we had in an earlier thread at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=65. Also check the one at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=21, as well, where we address a question about future partners and does the virus always remain in a state where it can be given to a new partner (no way to prove it one way or the other, but many experts think the likelihood of transmission may decline over time).

I hope this helps. Post again sometime and let us know how things are with you.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject: Another question.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:43 am 

Do you think it possible that the reason the cryo does not seem to be working for me is that my doctor is setting up my visits like 9 days apart?

If I were to get treated say.. every 2 days would it, perhaps, return better results?

If so is there a cryo home kit for genital warts?

I have seen cryo kits for regular warts (a wart u might find on your hand.)
Can these be used to treat genital warts as well?

What's the difference between the cryo kit my doc uses and one that treats regular warts?

Why can't i use the regular wart removing gel products to remove genital warts?

I found a website promoting a genital warts product. http://www.wartcream.com/ <-- Is this true?
Can I be rid of hpv simply by applying cream that increases the ogygen levels in the infected skin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi again,

There is no kit for home use of cryotherapy, as this is something that has to be done and monitored by a medical professional with training in the procedure.

Similarly, products that are fine to remove warts found on other skin areas are not suitable for use with the genital area. The skin for which over the counter wart remedies can be used is generally tougher and thicker than what is found in the anogenital area, and using these products on delicate genital skin can lead to damage (like scar tissue). So, let your clinic handle your treatment. The only products designed and approved for use at home are available by prescription - Aldara cream and Condylox gel.

Ask your doctor about your treatment schedule, but it's not unusual for there to be some rest time between treatments. I don't know that having cryo done in more frequent intervals would make it more effective.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]