ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 pm 

I am so happy I've found this resource...I've just been diagnosed with low-risk HPV. I currently have genital warts and am starting Aldera to treat them.

My question is, what exactly is safe to do while I have the lesions? (I'm in a long-term monogomos relationship). Is this generally safe?(I know you're not goign to recommend it) It's more than likely he's infected since we've had unprotected sex recently so since we can't transmit this back and forth to each other will it be safe to have unprotected sex when my warts clear up? And can we use a condom while I do have some lesions? Is it safe for him to give me oral sex when the warts clear up?

Thank you, and again...great resource!

(This coming weekend was sopposed to be a very happy celebratory birthday weekend for my boyfriend, so I'd like to do as much as we can)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Hello redfirefly,

Thanks for your post, and we're glad you're here with us.

Partners who share HPV and remain sexually active are not thought to be likely to reinfect one another and cause more warts to develop. Some research has suggested (not proven) that couples that use condoms are able to clear both HPV and associated skin lesions a bit more quickly, so this might also be something to consider if you choose to be sexually active while lesions are present. Did your doctor offer any advice about this? Ask him or her what they think, too.

The exact risks of contracting HPV through oral sex are currently unknown. It may be possible to contract HPV through performing oral sex, though the mouth appears to be a less hospitable environment for HPV than the genital area. Each type of HPV tends to infect a specific skin area, making it unlikely for genital types of HPV to become established and create disease orally. Research shows that it is uncommon for HPV to be found in the mouth in the form of warts (or lesions). A common recommendation is not to perform oral sex on a partner with genital HPV while lesions are present.

I hope this helps, and post again if more questions come up.

All the best,
Fredo

Last edited by Fredo on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:06 pm 

Fredo, Thank you very much...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]