ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: clearing things up
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:09 pm 

Hello - I just found out that I have a mild case of low risk HPV, and I had both the cryotherapy and TCA treatments right then in the doctors office. Now I'm wondering just how long it usually takes for things to clear up. The follow up appointment isn't for a while, and I just want to know if the visual symptoms should be taken care of before that (i.e. is the treatment working??). it was just a very small area. thanks very much for the good information on the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there ideefixe2,

Thanks for the post. The most common treatments for external genital warts are TCA and cryotherapy. TCA is a non-toxic liquid caustic acid. TCA is well tolerated by patients, but significant burning or pain may occur to the applied area for 2 to 5 minutes. TCA is usually applied in the clinician's office weekly (or every other week) until warts are gone. This treatment may cause mild scarring. TCA can be used in the vagina, perianally, on the penis, and urethra.

Cryotherapy is when the clinician applies liquid nitrogen to the external genital warts. The outer layer of tissue forms a blister and eventually breaks off from the deeper layers, taking most of the affected skin with it. It may sting when the liquid nitrogen is applied to the wart, but generally no pain is felt afterwards. One treatment may be sufficient, but others may need to have the procedure repeated. Very minimal scarring (if any) where the treatment was applied to the wart. Cryotherapy can be performed vaginally, perianally, on the penis, cervix, or the urethra.

You can read up on different treatment options at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7.

Hope this helps, and post again if you think of anything else.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]