ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saran Wrap (cling wrap)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:28 am 

Would saran wrap work as a preventive percaution. Seems you could still perform oral well without the worry of contact.

Would saran wrap (cling wrap) work to prevent the spead during sexual intercourse? To me, It would seem to cover the infected area. To use with a condom.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

Most sources say not to use microwaveable saran wrap though - I'm not sure you can even buy any anymore that isn't microwave safe - haven't really spent that much time looking at it on the store shelves.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi hookup,

Welcome to our message boards (and hi again to you, Betsy!),

Let's see, there are no studies I'm aware of re: how well plastic wrap (or any other barrier) works in reducing the risks of HPV transmission during oral sex, and part of this is due to the fact the exact risk of getting HPV from oral sex isn't too well understood. Nothing wrong with using barries, though, and that might include plastic wrap, dental dams, or even male latex condoms that have been cut and spread open.

Review our discussion on this at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=212.

Do the same for a folic acid thread, found at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=146.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:09 pm 

Most sources say not to use microwaveable saran wrap though

Why not use mircrowaveable saran wrap? What is the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Admin

I think the issue is plastic wrap designed for microwaves has different properties from what you find in the normal product, and it might not be as effective a barrier re: blocking small organisms. I don't know the specifics ofhow that works, though.

Fredo

Last edited by Fredo on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 am 

right the microwaveable saran wrap has small holes in it to let moisture out thru. It increases the viral permeability when it's microwave safe. I know I read a study once that was more detailed than the one I listed but I couldn't seem to find it when I was searching for it the other day. If I find it - I'll post a link to it for you.

You can buy flavored condoms that are unlubricated ( check online if you can't find them ) and use those too. Just cut them open for use on a female partner. Half the fun is seeing which flavors you like least ( can't say myself that any of them I've tried are really all that tasty but...lol ). Also they make flavored lubes you can buy to help with the taste a little too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]