ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:55 pm 

Hello. Hope you can help clear some things up for me.

Numerous places on the net say that out of the 100 HPV types that are out there, 30/40 are sexually transmitted through genital contact. Does that mean that there are sexual HPVs (that attach to the genitals) and nonsexual HPVs that wouldn't attach to the genitals?

I am ashamed to tell you about what I have done, but I need to provide some background in order to get valid information.

15/20 years ago my wife and I had some marital troubles. Instead of working them out with her like I should have, I "acted out" and went to a lot of adult entertainment bars, drinking way too much and carrying on disgracefully.

My wife ended up with an HPV because of me. Her doctor didn't tell her it was sexually transmitted, and she had to go thru some painful treatment to become cured. She saw a local TV project talk about HPV and how the vaccine was needed to eliminate the cervical cancer the HPV sometimes caused, and it said that HPV was transmitted sexually, skin to skin. I never knew that I had it.

My wife has never had any other sexual partner but me, so it appears I infected her. However, I have not had any other sexual partner either.

My wife does not believe me, as everything that she has seen on the net and television says that I must have had sexual relations with someone who was infected.

I recognize it was High Risk behavior now, but at the time I was out of control and not being very bright.

I apologize if anyone is offended, but I don't know how else to describe the situations, and I have a need to know.

Can HPV be acquired by wet mouth to breast?
Can HPV be acquired by wet mouth thru material to vagina?
Can HPV be acquired by a kiss to the mouth?
Can HPV be acquired by a hand to the penis?

These are bad enough, but I don't remember any other activity that could remotely be the cause.

Thank you for your help.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:09 am 

You don't need actual penetration to contract hpv. Just direct skin on skin contact. You also can have the virus on your hands and transmit it to the genitals too ( happens less often but it can happen ). If either of you had been naked with "fooling around " with anyone prior to meeting the hpv could've been contracted then or yes potentially a "hand job" could've transmitted the virus to you.

any insight as to why after all this time - your wife pursuing this? Perhaps the hpv isn't really the issue - perhaps it's more a trust issue?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Hello Alan,

Glad to have you with us. You can review basic HPV transmission information on our site at http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_hpv_facts.cfm.

Genital HPV is transmitted through skin to skin contact. This includes any genital to genital contact, as well as vaginal and anal sex and, as Betsy points out, does not require penetration.

The risks of genital HPV transmission and oral sex, as well as hand to genital contact, are less clear. Any route of transmission apart from that described above is probably uncommon, but certainly can't be ruled out. The risks of hand to genital contact and genital HPV is usually discussed in the literature I'm aware of more in the context of genital warts, rather than cervical precancers, but I don't have a great deal of specific information beyond that.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]