ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 pm 

My husband was told today that he has genital warts we have been married for 4 years and both of us have never had sex with any one other then each other. I dont understand how he could have gotten this? His doctor told him nothing about it and we are both very confussed! I have never tested postive for HPV so I really dont understand. Please Help!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Hello Diane,

We're glad to have you with us and thanks for your post.

A couple of things to consider. First, a person can have HPV for weeks, months, or even years before a diagnosis is made. Genital HPV is an STI, transmitted from skin to skin contact (genital to genital or genital to anal) but there are some unexplained cases and nonsexual transmission, while probably uncommon, cannot be ruled out. Also, keep in mind that genital contact that doesn't involve penetrative intercourse can transmit HPV.

Most sexually active people contract HPV at some point in their lives (probably up to 80% or so), but the vast majority never know it and won't have visible signs, or symptoms like warts can be very small and hard to see even with a medical exam. If you've yet to do so talk about this with your health care provider and make sure you're having regular Pap tests (even though the HPV types that cause genital warts aren't usually the ones associated with cervical diseases that Paps detect).

We understand that the emotional impact of HPV can be greater than the physical discomfort the virus may cause. Experiencing feelings of fear, guilt, and confusion are natural; however, these feelings can be managed and overcome. You have taken an important step by educating yourself. Please keep in mind that we speak to couples each day for whom HPV has become nothing more than a minor inconvenience in their relationship.

I hope this helps and post again if anything else comes up.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]