ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:40 pm 

Hello All
Just to let you know I've been reading this board for about a week and have found it very useful and informative...and now (unfortunately) I am a member. I just finished my first week of using Condylox. My question is.. How do you know if it's working?? I mean when I look down there...it looks like there is a war going on and my penis is in the middle of the war zone. I'm not sure if the wart is winning?? Its red and scabby with pus (and painful)...basically necrotic as hell..How do you know if the Condylox is winning?? I would like to hear from the other members there actual experience using this stuff (over the course of time...first week...second week) and how they knew the warts were gone (I have 2)?? It all looks the same down there (if you like warzones). How long does it usually take (1, 2, 3 or all 4 weeks??) I think mine are still there...I just don't know...and I WANT THEM OUT OF ME!!

I appreciate everyones input and help...

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Hi there liteguy,

It sounds like you're having a difficult time, to say the least, and I'm very sorry that you are. Condylox, for those who aren't familiar, is one of two prescription, topical therapies for genital warts that are self-applied at home (the other is Aldrara cream). Condylox comes in a gel form and is generally used up to 4 weeks.

Within a few weeks, most who use the gel have their warts reduced by 50% of better, but actual response rates can vary a good deal. It's not uncommon for patients to report side effects that include burning, itching, redness, and so on - the intensity of side effects also varies.

Sometimes another therapy is indicated, but Condylox is often able to clear all the lesions. Not sure when you have your next clinic visit, but they can assess where you are in treatment, if more is needed, and exactly which treatment option might be indicated. You can read our treatment overview at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7.

I'm not sure how helpful any of this is, liteguy, but keep in touch and let us know how you are. If you have more questions, please post anytime.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:34 pm 

Thanks for your input Fredo. Reading your post I get the feeling that Condylox is not your preferred method of treatment...I went to a urologist. Perhaps I should go to a Dermatologist?? I would much rather have a procedure that "rips em out by the roots" if possible. The urologist said that Condylox is the number 1 preferred method...now I'm REALLY confused..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Admin

There isn't one treatment option for genital warts that's universally preferred over others, and Condylox is fine in many cases. Urologists actually treat genital warts frequently, and of course dermatologists are good choices too but here again, not sure if one is strongly preferred over the other.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]