ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: CONFUSED BY MY RESULTS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:56 pm 

HELLO,
I HAVE BEEN WIT MY BOYFRIEND FOR A YEAR 1/2. WE BROKE UP FOR A ABOUT A MONTH 1/2 IN WHICH HE SLEPT WITH SOME ONE ELSE. WHEN I GAVE OUR RELATIONSHIP ANOTHER TRY, HE CAME BACK POSITIVE FOR CHAYLAMDIA. I WENT TO GET TESTED ON THURSDAY GETTING MY PAP AND HIV. TO OUR SUPRISE I CAME BACK NEGATIVE FOR THAT AN STD, BUT CAME BACK POSITIVE FOR HPV. SHOULD I GET ANOTHER TEST OR GET THE SHOTS FOR HPV. IT'S KINDA WEIRED THAT I CAME BACK NEGATIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE NEVER USED PROTECTION. AND WE GOT BACK TOGETHER IN OCTOBER AND WE ARE NOW IN THE SECOND MONTH OF THE YEAR. IS THAT A NORMAL THING TO COME BACK NEGATIVE FOR AN STD BUT GET HPV OR IS SOMETHING WRONG. MY DOCTOR RECHECKED MY INFO AND ASSURED ME THE RESULTS WERE CORRECT. PLEASE ALL REPLYS ARE NEEDED THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:44 am 

Did your doctor discuss any follow up for your + hpv diagnosis? did you have a hpv test with your pap test that came back as hpv+ or obvious genital warts? did the doctor say if it's low risk or high risk hpv?

I think at this point they still are not giving the hpv vaccine in females who are hpv +. I know they were doing some studies on that but I don't believe it's gotten approval by the fda for that yet. Hopefully Fred chimes in on that one.

Most doctor's will go ahead and treat both partners for chlamydia when one tests + for it. Did your doctor discuss that with you?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 am 
Site Admin

The HPV vaccine is not used to treat existing infections, but can still be given to women who have HPV; it's licensed for females ages 9-26 and often recommended for routine use with ages 11-12, and for those 13-26 who have yet to receive it. Women who have HPV are likely to still receive some protection against the HPV the types covered by the vaccine that they don't have.

Pap tests aren't HPV tests, but sometimes the results strongly suggest the presence of cell changes related to the virus. An HPV test is sometimes done, and these do detect the genetic material of the virus directly. What follow up are they recommending for you, simply repeat Paps or something like a colposcopy (where a special microscope is used to give the clinician a clear view of the cervix, and they can take small samples if needed).

If you'd like to provide some more detail or ask additional questions, feel free!

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]