ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:23 pm 

In October of 2006 I found out that I had the high risk type of HPV. I have went for my first cervical cancer biopsy. I'm going for my 3 month checkup this month. There are a lot of questions that I need answered. All the information on the internet say something different. My doctor told me that once you have HPV you will always have it. But by reading on the net I found out that the body clears the virus. :?

Does HPV clear? How long does it usually take?

Does dysplasia cause warts or just abnormal cells?

How can you keep HPV under control?

Does Vitamin C help fight off the virus?

Whats a good way to boost you immune system?

Post subject: Immune booster website
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:46 pm 

I have read numerous times that anything that you can do to up the immune system can help with the clearing of the virus. My doctor said her patients that have any STD are some of her healthiest just because the immune system can work wonders. Here is a website that I found that has a lot about boosting the immune system and what kinds of foods can help. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t042500.asp#T042501

As far as clearing up I'm sure the mentor on here will say much what he said to me in that no one is really sure, which is why information is so conflicting. It's obnoxious not to know, but many believe that if you have no symptoms for 1-2 years that the immune system has taken over the virus, or at least has subdued the virus.

The other questions will be better answered by someone who has a degree in medicine, but I hope this at least gives you some things to help.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi Melissa,

HPV, for most, is suppressed by the immune system at some point. It isn't clear just what this means in terms of being able to transmit the virus to a new partner, but many researchers think the risk of HPV transmission likely diminishes greatly in one who has gone a year or two with no recurrences. The hard part is there's no real way to prove this at present. Review a similar discussion at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18.

http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=146 will take you to a discussion on nutrition and HPV. There are few specific recommendations, although some clinicians suggest diets rich in beta carotene and folic acid. Ask your own health care provider if he or she has recommendations for you.

I hope this helps. All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]