ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to HPV and scared...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 am 

Hey all,

I'm new to this message board, and new to HPV. I'm 19 years old, and I was diagnosed with HPV about 3 months ago. This was the last "std" I thought I would get. I was so worried about all the other more serious conditions (herpes...aids...etc..) I've gone to the doctor several times and have had a colposcopy done (on Feb. 7), and he said that everything looked fine, and that there was a 90% chance of it clearing up on it's own. I was relieved until just YESTERDAY I noticed some swelled up places down there but it's not in a common place for genital warts. I looked up pictures on google, and I think I've scared myself to death. I've been crying since I've noticed them, I'm afraid of not being able to have the life I've dreamed. With kids, and a marraige. I go to the doctor today to get it looked at. Is there hope? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dev,

Sure there's hope. HPV is usually not dangerous and very often clears on its own. The important thing is to do what you're doing, going back for follow up exams as recommended.

The types of HPV most often associated with cervical cell changes and colposcopy are typically not the same that are usually found with external genital warts. Your health care provider will likely sort this out for you today, but what you're experiencing may not even be related to HPV or genital warts and if it is, there are treatment options available.

There is no reason why HPV should prevent anyone from having relationships and children. The virus is very common (most sexually active people contract it at some point in their lives, although most never know) but in the great majority of cases the immune system is able to suppress it. Issues with HPV and pregnancy aren't common, and transmission to a baby is RARE.

Keep visiting these forums and post anytime you think we might be able to help.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]