ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: tear or cut
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:31 pm 

Just trying to figure out contagousness.

My gf found out she had hpv 3 months ago.

Once the warts disappear and everything seems to appear normal, we may choose to become sexually active. We haven't yet.

1. If she tears in the process, is she more likely to transfer it to me?

2. If either she or myself shave and cut ourselves, would that put me more at risk in contracting it.

Honestly, I am not too worried about it, I would just like to try to prevent getting it. It would suck if I got it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world... that's for sure. But there is certainly no reason to try to get it either. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi hookup,

Couples who are sexually active are generally presumed to share HPV, but this can be next to impossible to prove. A great deal remains unknown about transmission patterns among couples and the guidance (including ours) is often inconsistent and confusing, to say the least. There are experts who don't think it is likely couples sharing the same HPV type(s) will "ping-pong" the virus back and forth to reinfect each, and we're not aware of any data that indicate this is likely to be an issue. Some studies suggest that using condoms might help both the virus and associated skin lesions clear a bit more quickly, and sometimes couples feel more comfortable having protected sex.

With many STIs, skin abrasions can make transmission more likely. Not aware of specific data in that regard re: HPV, but the nature of the skin-to-skin contact that transmits the virus is probably such that abrasions to the skin are a factor. Keep in mind that even without obvious skin abrasions, the virus can be transmitted.

Removing warts won't guarantee the virus isn't able to be spread to a new partner but once warts are gone, especially if there are no signs of recurrences in the months that follow, many experts think the risks of transmission to a new partner decrease greatly. There is no way to really know for certain is HPV is contagious at a given point, though, which is frustrating.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 am 

Thanks for the reply, but it's the same info you give everyone. I was wanting to understand it better. Again...

1. If she tears in the process, is she more likely to transfer it to me?

2. If either she or myself shave and cut ourselves, would that put me more at risk in contracting it.

At this time, I do not have it. The one time we got close to anything was the night I found them. That was 3 months ago. I am aware I will more than likely end up with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hello again,

We discussed how there aren't specific studies of which we're aware that have looked at this specific scenario, so no real data I can give you there, but given that HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact, it makes sense that any abrasions or openings in the genital skin would likely make it easier to contract the virus. It's probably a good idea not to have sex until the area heals if either partner does cut themselves shaving the genital area, but the point is that HPV can be transmitted even without skin abrasions you notice.

I don't know that skin abrasions in the partner who has HPV makes much difference re: transmission to you, so the issue would be nicks and cuts in the skin of the partner who has not been diagnosed.

Condoms are a good idea - they don't cover all susceptible anogenital skin, of course, so condom use doesn't offer 100% protection. Latex condoms may reduce the risks for the skin they cover however: while it doesn't apply to you directly as a male, FYI one study did show that consistent, correct condom use does reduce HPV transmission to women by 70% (Winer et al., NEJM 2006).

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]