ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:51 am 

Hello,

I have been 8 weeks pregnant. I had 4 condylom accuminata in 1999 and they had been frozen. Since then I am having my pap smear test every six months and all are clean.
Once I was told by my dr that I have to have an operation to give birth to. (ı dont know the right word in english we call it "sezaryan". They cut you in the stomach and take the baby out basically :)
Today I visited another dr and he told me there is no need for that as long as you do not have active condylome accuminata.

Can I give birth in normal ways or is there any risk to transmit it to the baby? if so how much is the risk? ıf the baby is infected can it be treated?

Should I go safe and have the operation? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mary,

Cesarean (or "C") sections are seldom indicated with HPV and genital warts, except when women have genital warts present at delivery that are blocking the birth canal, or are bleeding. Read more on our site at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#9.

Once warts are no longer present, especially if a woman is clear of any detectable HPV lesions for at least 6 months or more, the risk of transmitting HPV to the baby is essentially eliminated. Most medical associations, the CDC, and clinicians agree that a cesarean section is not recommended for women with genital warts unless the warts threaten to obstruct the birth canal or cause excessive bleeding at the time of labor. Research shows that it is quite rare for children to have any HPV related complications later in life.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:00 am 

Dear Fredo,

Thank you for the reply. I am very relieved and I dont need to feel pressure for "C" from now on.

I will share this information with my friends who have genital warts.

Regards,

Mary

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]