ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: if someone could help...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:04 pm 

My doctor just diagnosed me with hpv today and also told me that I have mild dysplasia. I have an appointment in about a month to see someone who will perform a colposcopy (?) deal, but don't want to wait a month to get an answer. Seems like a really long time! Plus, I have a bf who I adore and I know his first reaction will be questions, questions.

I have several questions. Does the hpv come from the dsyplasia? Is it found in the cells? What does the lab see that tells them, yep it's hpv. I know it's not bacteria, it's a virus, but how is it diagnosed, exactly.
Also, my guy and I have been sexually active for about 3 months, so he must have it right? I know that you say hpv won't likely "ping-pong" back and forth, but, really, how could it not? If you're not vaccinated for it, how can it ever really go away if you're continually having sex with the same person and it's so contagious?
Also, when I had my physical in January, I asked my doctor to look at some growths near my vagina, and she said that they just looked like skin tags, but we'll keep an eye on them. Plus they were too small to go ahead and remove them. Should I have her look at them again? Could I have dysplasia, hpv AND genital warts?? Am I in Hell, or is this really gonna be fine? I feel like I've just entered a crappy cycle that just won't go away for at least 1-2 years, like the hpv virus.

Ergh! I'm incredibly frustrated. Plus, I feel like I won't be getting any oral sex in a while! AND, this takes the fun right out of sex with a partner that I don't want to take my hands off!

Thanks for listening. Please answer my questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm 

The dysplasia comes from the HPV, not the other way around. All dysplasia means is slightly abnormal cells.

It really is doubtful you'd be ping-ponging it back and forth, as once you have it, you have it. And its really a good bet that if you didn't get it from him, he got it from you already.

And while oral hpv is rare, its up to you all to determine how comfortable you are with even a slight risk for oral hpv.

You could have HPV and genital warts, as there are a bunch of different strains that affect the genital area. Some cause abnormal cells on the cervix, and others cause warts. If your doc thinks they are skin tags, they probably are, but ask again if it will make you more comfortable.

Yes, this is going to be fine, and you are doing all the right things. Its ok to wait a month for the colpo, though it is frustrating!

Check out the HPV section here - its loaded with good info.

Jess

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]