ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How did I get this?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:19 pm 

I just had a colposcopy today (what fun!) and was informed just prior to the procedure that I have HPV. I have been with NO ONE but my husband in ALL my life. I have had absolutely no indication that he's been with anyone else. I'm not willing to bring this up with him unless there is NO OTHER way to contract HPV other than sexual contact. Otherwise, I know it needs to be addressed.
Is sexual contact the ONLY way to get HPV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:57 pm 

There are certain types of HPV that only affect the genitals, and those are the only types of HPV that affect the genitals.

I don't know how long you have been married, but if he was with even one person before you married, that's how you got it.

It can stay dormant in either one of you for years, and then just show up.

Why wouldn't you address this with your husband? If nothing else, I assume you'd want his support.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:15 am 

Jessi,
I only meant addressing the infidelity factor. Of course, we will discuss the HPV in terms of the cancer risk, etc. You're right about the support--I definitely need it. Thanks for your input.

Post subject: lidia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:01 am 

Hi,

mary my name is lidia and i was reading your comment but i would like yo ask you a question am 20 years old and i also have HPV but i would like to ask you is if when you got pregant did you already had HVP + cause am trying to have another baby but for some reason is really hard for me and i want to do isit because i have HPV thank you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:03 am 

Hi

meme how do you feel afther the coposcopy i already have 2 of two and i also had the leep done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 am 

Lidia -

Have you talked to your doc about getting pregnant at this point?

If you are still getting follow up paps, you might want to wait awhile to try and get pregnant.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:17 am 

nena,

I don't know how long I've had HPV. I've been married 19 years, have four children--the youngest is 9. Jessi is correct that you should be in contact with your doctor about getting pregnant--I wouldn't know what to tell you.
About the colposcopy--I experienced a lot of moderate cramping for about a day or so after the procedure and I was a little tired for the rest of the day. The doctor also took 3 biopsies and used a paste to stop the bleeding so I'm still dealing with discharge from that. But I'm feeling a lot better, thanks for asking. Now I'm just waiting for the results.

meme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:23 pm 

This conversation has been of help to me, as are all the ones I read. But, by reading yours I have a couple questions arise about the colposcopy.

I imagine it must be a little uncomfortable, the doctor told me so much, but I think she probably sugar-coated it a bit. The aftermath seems a little troubling, too. If discharge is imminant, should I definitely be bringing some sanitary napkins with me to the procedure, and what kind? Something light, like a panty liner, or should I go more heavyduty?

Also, is the bleeding similar to spotting? I think that probably depends on the person and the procedure she gets done, right?

Did you take yourself to the procedure, or should I bring someone with me in case I don't feel up to driving home? Did you feel like it was just another drive home or something more?

Do you mind me asking why you had to go back more than once? What kind of stuff the rest of us have to look forward to? Complications or not a good enough sample?
I'm really kind of in the dark. I'm not too happy with my doctor and have trouble asking her questions, so this site is a huge help for me.

Take care and hope everyone is doing well. Thanks again for your help!
'frustrated'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 am 

If they are going to sedate you for the colposcopy then you definitely need a driver. I always think it's a good idea to take along a friend anyways - for both physical and emotional support. Better to have someone to drive you just in case then to try to drive home in pain. if nothing else you might even get a lunch invite out of it all ( oh sweetie you look stressed - let's go do lunch!!! ).

Take along a regular sanitary pad to wear afterwards. Usually the ones they give you at the clinic are those thick ones that reach from the back of your neck up to above your waist and are 6 inches thick....he he he. Some women have a lot of discharge while others only have a little so err on the side of caution.

best wishes for your procedure :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm 

frustrated,

The procedure was fairly uncomfortable--not like giving birth, but you may wish you were somewhere else! Actually, the dr. did all 3 biopsies on the same visit, just different areas of the cervix, lining, etc. (they came back negative for cancer, by the way--YAHOO!).

The nurse provided a pad (it was one of the thin ones) but it's not a bad idea to bring your own--just in case.

I felt fine to drive myself but I wished I had brought along some ibuprofen (i.e. Advil, Motrin). It might be a good idea to ask your doctor if you could take some just prior to the procedure.

I understand being frustrated with the dr. I have so many questions about the HPV and the drs. are all so difficult to access (that's why I'm here). I guess I'll have to write my questions down and ask them at my 6 month check in August.

God bless,
meme
Philippians 4:6-7

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]