ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie with a qweestion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:00 pm 

Hi there. Much to my sadness, I was diagnosed with HPV back in April 2006. Apparently it was on the low side of the scale. Not high risk. She said that's good as we've caught it early. They did a coloscopy (forgive my spelling, not sure if that's right) in May 2006, and turns out things were ok. No signs of cancer and no signs of warts. I went back again in October of 2006 for a followup. Turns out things weren't any better, but it hadn't change. Didn't get any worse. Still no warts. I go back again in March of this year for another followup.

My question is about the genital warts. If nothing has popped up now, is it safe to say it never will? That I don't have a strain of HPV that causes genital warts? Is there a chance I could still have the warts come up?

Second part of my question has to do with sexual partner. If I were to have had sex with someone, and I didn't show signs of the warts ever, could he still possibly get them? If he got HPV, would it be the same strain as I do? Am I making sense?

I've been really curious about this, and am glad to have found this forum. Thanks for listening no matter how silly my questions may get. :)

EDIT: I don't know if it makes much difference, but I posted wrong. HPV was detected via a pap in April 2006. May was when I had the coloscopy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to our forum!

The types of HPV most often associated with the cervix, abnormal Pap tests, and colposcopy are usually not the same types that cause external genital warts. So, a woman who's had a Pap/colposcopy that indicate cervical cell changes due to HPV may not even have the HPV types that cause warts and if she does, in most cases nothing visible develops in either partner.

Partners are usually thought to share HPV, but the lack of testing options (and often, lack of symptoms) makes this hard to prove in most cases. Over time natural immunity tends to suppress HPV, and you can read some other threads here for more on that: http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=275.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime you like.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 am 

Thank you for the reply. I've been reading so much about low risk HPV being the one genital warts are associated with that I was worried. I wasn't sure if there was still a chance that I could develop the warts. At any time. It's been well past three months since I was first diagnosed. It may sound silly, but the warts concern me more then the cancer. Then another concern was if I had sex with someone, even though I don't have warts, will he. I've read so much on this, my head it ready to explode.

Here's to hoping that the virus has cleared up come my next appointment.

Thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]