ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello, once more!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 pm 

I asked this question on the STD boards and haven't received an answer.
(I am not known for having patience. Sorry.)

Inluded in my daughter's pap test and full STD screening which cost $2,000.(I am still in shock), was a $600 test for HPV.

I asked the doctor which strain she had and she said the test only determines if a person has high risk or low risk. We pretty much already knew it was high risk because of the abnormal pap test and cell changes.

Doesn't the test determine the exact strain a person has? I see people on the boards who know they have HPV 16 or HPV 18.

For $600 I would expect to have some answers so that we will know how aggressive we want to treat the cell changes (repeat pap tests or LEEP)

Thank you for your patience
Scared Mom formerly known as supportive parent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 am 

That's a very good question I'd like to know about as well. I called my obgyn's office, and got a hold of one of the nurses. After reading such things on the board, I wanted to know if they knew what strain I had. She made it sound like there's no way to find out. Yet, again, I see people talk about what they have all the time. I'm going to ask my doctor when I see her in March about it. Perhaps she'll know something I don't.

Goodluck, and hope you guys find the answers you're looking for!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]