ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Completely confused
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:14 pm 

I just went to the doctor, and found out that I have high risk hpv with lsil. I haven't had my colposcopy, it's scheduled for this friday. I feel so angry; I got the call from the doctor, and went there immediately to find out what was wrong with me. I asked my boyfriend to come along, and he did. After we left the doctor's office, I asked him if any of the people he ever slept with had anything, and he said to me Sarah said she had something, but it went away. That means he knew! After two years together, he knew and he didn't tell me! I feel so sad, so angry, things were going so well for me. Now I'm depressed, I don't want to go to school anymore, all I feel like doing is sleeping all day.
I take vitamins, but I'm just so scared. I'm just so scared. I wish I never slept with him, I wish I never did. I have a child too, and that scares me so much more that what if I die, what will happen to him? It seems so unfair too, I've been a good human being, I've tried to help people, take care of people, but it just seems like life doesn't go that way for me. It is also so easy for women to develop cancer versus men; it's just not fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:59 pm 

Oh hon -

You aren't going to die. You went to get your paps, and you are going to get treatment, and its going to be fine. LSIL means low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion, and it just means you have early changes in the cells.

Your doc will do the colpo, and determine where to go from here. It might just mean repeat paps, or some further treatment. It will depend on what's found.

You said you had a son, and I am not sure if he is your bf's child or not. If not, that means you had sex with at least one other person. You have no idea if this came from your current man, or someone before him. Maybe Sarah did have hpv, maybe she had something else that went away. Either way, I am guessing he didn't know what it was.

I hope you know that when you enter into a sexual relationship, there is always risk, whether it be physical or emotional. You took that risk.

It also sounds like he did all he could, and there is no test for men and HPV, so how would he have known anyway?

Hang in there - its all going to be fine. Up to 80% of the population gets HPV, and very very very few ever die from cervical cancer.

Jess

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]