ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:48 pm 

I was diagnosed with HPV nearly 10 years ago. Actually then the doc. just told me that (although I had no visible symptoms) that I had genital warts. A few Colopops and a bout a hundred PAPs later, my doctors still can't tell me much about my HPV. As far as I know I do not have the strand that causes warts, but I do have the strand that causes a form of displasia (sp.?) (which keeps reoccurring). They tell me it could be pre-cancerous and at the same time it comes and goes at random. It causes me no physical agony other then frequent visits to my doc on the table in [color=red]foot stirrups, [/color][color=red]AGAIN[/color].

Can anyone tell me if I can have a test to further determine [color=darkred]exactly which strand of HPV [/color]I have so I can learn more about my specific situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:14 am 

Have you had a hpv dna test yet?

Also have you checked out some of the current research going on for hpv at www.clinicaltrials.gov? If you are interested in participating you might be able to get in on some of the terrific research into the virus that is going on now.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

speigln,

There is no HPV test commercially available at this point to isolate and tell you exactly which "strain" of the virus is present, but in most cases knowing such detailed information doesn't help much. "Low risk" HPV is usually what is found with genital warts, while "high risk" types are those generally associated with cervical cell changes and abnormal Pap tests. Determining if you have "low risk" or "high risk" is what health care provider's are most interested in.

Betsy's suggestion about clinical trials might be a good one. There is no telling why you're having longer term issues with this, but sometimes it can relate to issues like smoking, or maybe something that weakens the immune system (stress, poor diet, etc.). That's a very over-simplified view of much more complex subject, of course, but lifestyle and boosting immunity might be a worthy topic to discuss with your provider.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]