ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV / BOYFRIEND HELP !?!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:12 pm 

I need some questions answered... i dont understand it the way my doctor explained, so maybe someone here can please, please help me.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years now
Sept.05-now.
in Jan. 2005 i had my routine pap test and it came back fine, a year later, Jan.2006, i have mild dysplasia --- HPV, therefore my boyfriend obviously does as well.

I am getting a Leep procedure to remove the abnormal cells, though I am getting this, I know there is nothing you can do for the guys!?

I love my boyfriend and he is by my side every step of the way with me through this and I would never want to be without him... no sex for 6-8 weeks after the procedure, thats fine, and this being said,
my questions are;

1. after the procedure no sex for 6-8 weeks, but afterwards, once i am "clear", my boyfriend is not!? for how long?? I do not understand this exactly. I know I must use condoms for a long time, but will he ever be cured as well???

2. How long does it take for a man to get HPV gone from his system?? Is he a carrier FOREVER?

3. If we get married, I wont be able to have sex with my husband without a condom? Or will i get re-infected!? :(

4. Does HPV transfer through oral sex as well since it is in the skin???

thank you!

************IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER THESE OR GIVE ME SOMEWHERE TO GET THIS INFO. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!!!***********

Post subject: HPV / BOYFRIEND
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:53 pm 

I hope you get the answers you need here, because I have same ones and it's hard find someone who will answer them in the way that you want them too.

My doctor told me I have hpv a couple weeks ago and since then I keep thinking, 'how will I ever get rid of this is my bf and I are together forever'. They say 80% of sexually active people have it.... well, won't the time come that pretty well everyone will have it? Nuts!

I just don't know how to end the cycle. When it starts clearing up in my, won't my bf just give it right back again? And if I never clear up, can I never get vaccinated for it? Because if I get vaccinated, then my guy can finally get rid of it too!

I hope someone can help us out.
Just try to be positive in the meanwhile. I just think, "thank god I have someone who loves me and accepts me, and also accepts that he'll unfortunately get it too".

Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 pm 

exactly!!! though, my doctor did tell me if you stay 110% clear for about 3 years i think, then you can get the new Gardasil shot series and he said its about 88% prevention since you've had HPV before(otherwise its 98%)
.... but until then, i guess condoms it is..i wish i knew for how long he;ll have it!!........ :? :x

Post subject: hey!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hey i just was diagnosed with HPV this past month...I'm tryin not worry and just learn as much about it as possible and i was reading on this website actually under the "what women should know" about HPV and it talked about exactly what you are concerned about... ill see if i can cope and paste...brb! here you go:

What about partners?
Most sexually active couples share HPV until the immune response suppresses the infection. Partners who are sexually intimate only with each other are not likely to pass the same virus back and forth. When HPV infection goes away the immune system will remember that HPV type and keep a new infection of the same HPV type from occurring again. However, because there are many different types of HPV, becoming immune to one HPV type may not protect you from getting HPV again if exposed to another HPV type.

I hope this answered a question for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:57 pm 

thank you! so how do you boostyour immune system??

Post subject: Immune system
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:10 pm 

Vitamin C is great for your immune system. If you go to the drug store/grocery store get a bottle of 500mg Vitamin C pills and take one daily, that will help alot! Just like when you have a sore throat orange juice helps because it is loaded with Vitamin C and the acid breaks down what is making you sick...If you do get orange juice for your Vitamin C, check the Nutrition label to see exactly how much vitamin C is in there...alot of orange juices are packed with alot of sugar and you do not want that. Basically eat healthy try to exercise even if its just walking, that will help not only with your immune system but you will fill better and be healthier. I hope this helps you!

~KT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

For more on nutrition and HPV, go to a previous discussion at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=146.

Fredo

Post subject: HELP STILL....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:37 pm 

I RECENTLY HAD A LEEP PROCEDURE DONE AND ITS BEEN 5 WEEKS, DOCTOR SAYS IM CURED, BUT NOW THE CONDOM THING...HOW SENSITIVE IS THIS VIRUS??? IF I TOUCH MY B/F PENIS W/O CONDOM, IS THAT BAD?? ORAL SEX W/O? I WONT CONTRACT IT AGAIN IF WE JUST DONT HAVE INTERCOURSE W/O A CONDOM RIGHT?? I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND THIS STUPID STD!!!!!
HELP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:56 am 
Site Admin

A similar question was addressed at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=208. See below for part of the discussion on this thread:

A great deal remains unknown about transmission patterns among couples and the guidance (including ours) is often inconsistent and confusing, to say the least. There are experts who don't think it is likely couples sharing the same HPV type(s) will "ping-pong" the virus back and forth to reinfect each, and we're not aware of any data that indicate this is likely to be an issue. Some studies suggest that using condoms might help both the virus and associated skin lesions clear a bit more quickly, and sometimes couples feel more comfortable having protected sex.

It may be that you and your husband reach a point where you feel that you can have sex without a condom. Warts do recur in some cases, but by no means all. When they do recur, they show varying degrees of persistence. Some people may experience only one episode, while others may experience several. However, most people's immune systems, with time, seem to gain control over HPV, making recurrences less frequent and usually eliminating them eventually. In most cases, HPV will not be a persistent infection, but it can be hard to predict when "natural immunity" fully develops.

For a discussion on oral sex and HPV go to http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=212.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]