ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:32 pm 

I just got a call from my GYN after a regular exam and she said I have atypical cells both squamous and glandular and I have the high risk HPV virus. I am both shocked and scared. I am 38 and have not had alot of partners, I have always been careful. :( I have to now have a biopsy done. Has anyone else had these results and if so what happened?? I have no idea how much longer I have to wait until I know for sure what to expect. Please let me know if anyone else had these findings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sunni,

Atypical Pap test readings can occur for a number of reasons, and sometimes "high risk" HPV types are involved. Squamous cells (tough, flat cells such as those found in the vagina) are most often involved, but occasionally the more delicate, mucous producing glandular cells (such as those lining the uterus) are involved. There is an area of the cervix (called the "transformation zone") where both cell types are found.

Cervical cancers with either cell type aren't common at all, especially at levels described as "atypical" and monitoring and treatment (if treatment is even needed; often isn't) almost always prevents progression to anything that might be a problem. Even when cervical cancers are found, often they are non-invasive and can be treated effectively. The real key is returning for follow up exams as directed.

Let us know how you're doing and please keep us updated.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]