ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Am I a Guina Pig?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:52 am 

I am 29 years old, a mother of a 20 month old, and 9 weeks pregnant. (YeY!) I found a prenatal doctor who seems great. Yet, I am worried I might be an experiment. She is worried I will miscarry and prescribed me extremely expensive hormones I cannot afford. (prestrogene (sp)) This hormone may prevent a miscarry. And it may not.
She has given me two pap tests in the last month. Both are normal. Yet I tested positive for some type of HPV. I have heard of HPV on the commercials and the news. This diagnosis is not a shocker; I also have genital herpes. The odds of contracting HPV are greater than contracting herpes. The HPV test was a test I wanted, yet I had not asked the doctor about it, being more concerned with my pregnancy and finances.
Anyway, although my pap tests are normal, in my second trimester this doctor wants to (maybe) do a biopsy of my cervix. Probably she also wants to run more bloodwork (all I see are dollar signs and more emotional and physical stress than I think a pregnant lady needs.)
After reading information on several sites (the ashastd site being the most helpful) I think I do not need a biopsy. I think I need a second professional opinion. I think I may be a guina pig. And I am paying for the honor.
What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 am 

Don't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion if you aren't comfortable with what your current doctor is telling you. You can ask if there is someone else in the practice you can see your next appointment or even consult at another clinic. I wouldn't say that she's using you as a guinea pig - I'd say she's being very cautious and wanting to do the best she can for you and your unborn child.

why does she think you are going to miscarry? just because of the + hpv test or something else? When you were tested for hpv did they tell if you if it's high risk or low risk? Taking the wait and see approach with hpv is acceptable - especially with negative pap tests and if you have low risk hpv. The natural immunosuppression of pregnancy can trigger a hpv infection to be more active so being on top of things is always a good idea. Talk about what other options there are beside the coloposcopy and biopsy if you aren't comfortable having it done at this point.

Have you also talked about daily suppressive therapy in the pregnancy doses for the last month of pregnancy for your herpes? I know it's early on but be sure to know from the gitgo how your doctor plans on letting you treat recurrences during pregnancy as well as how to reduce the chances of having an obvious lesion at the time of delivery so you can delivery vaginally. it's never too early to talk about it all so you are prepared.

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]