ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:14 pm 

I dated a woman recently who was scheduled for a biopsy around the time we dated. We had sex twice, and she told me later that she had HPV.

The results of her biopsy came back with no signs of the virus. I'm guessing that means the virus is not active in her at the moment.

Does anyone know if the virus is less contagious/ not contagious when it is not active like this? I'm wondering now if it's safe to assume that I don't have HPV.

Thanks to anyone who has information about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 am 

How was she diagnosed as having hpv? did she have a hpv dna test or a thin prep pap test that detected hpv? did she have obvious external genital warts?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:00 am 

She had a pap smear and she said that she has the high-risk type HPV. She said that she didn't have warts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

HPV can be transmitted even when no "signs" of the virus are detectable (even on medical exams), but many experts think it might be less likely when no lesions (warts or cervical cell changes) are present.

The immune system is usually able to clear the infection in 6-24 months, leading some experts to think the risks of transmission with new partners decreases over time, as well, for those who have gone awhile with no additional warts and/or cervical cell changes. This is impossible to prove at present, though, which is very, very frustrating.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]