ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:46 pm 

From everything I have read, dysplasia or cervical changes take years to occur. How come in my daughter's case, hers progressed to low grade in
4 months (first sexual experience in Aug. till first pap test in Dec.)?

Her doctor is recommending a Leep procedure. I am so unsure of this because she is so young(She is 17).

Is this procedure absolutely necessary on such a young girl. She is no longer having sex with the boyfriend or anyone else.

Shouldn't we wait and see, at repeated pap tests every three months, if her body is going to suppress this virus?

Can her body correct the cervical changes without the Leep procedure because she is young, healthy and no longer sexually active?

Also, who usually performs a scope and biopsy after an abnormal pap test?
Doctor or nurse practioner?

Also, please have someone on the STD boards answer the questions posted there.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Cervical cell changes related to HPV can development in weeks or months, but in some cases do take years. Most of the literature refers to an average period spanning weeks or months, however. Cervical cancer, on the other hand, which is a rare outcome of HPV infection, does characteristically develop over many years, often 5-10 or more.

It's true that abnormal cell changes often self resolve, especially in younger patients. However, the need for treatment is predicated on a number of factors, such as just how extensive the abnormal cell changes are, their size and exact location, and so on. Ask her health care provider to explain why he/she is choosing one course of action over another, and if there are reasonable alternatives to surgery. LEEP is not uncommon, though, especially with moderately abnormal cell changes.

I hope this helps, but post again anytime.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]