ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:50 pm 

I just turned 19 a week ago, and I have an intense feeling of apocolyptic doom because I have gential warts!! Actually I feel way better now that I've discovered this message board, and have access to talking to real people with the same problem I have.
So I would like to know, please:

1. What treatment for the removal of HPV warts work the best, with the least rate of recurrence?
2. Is safe to put that cream stuff, Aldara, on warts that are very close to the opening of the vagina?
3. I read here that smoking cigarettes lowers the immune system and causes flare ups. What about smoking pot? I'm sorry for asking that question because I need to know because the response will affect me greatly.

Thank you so much in advance we are all awesome people, even though this unfortunate fate has befallen us.

:) Veronica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for joining our message boards and posting. Your feelings are not uncommon, as an HPV diagnosis can be very stressful. You're doing the right thing by reaching out, asking questions, and seeking support, and I hope we're able to assist.

There is no single treatment that is universally considered the best. They all have "pros" and "cons" and the choice of treatment is usually made while considering factors such as size, number, location, and distribution of warts to be removed. Warts that are large in size or number are often treated surgically, while smaller lesions can usually be effectively removed with topical agents. Recurrence rates vary and can be a bit misleading (some treatments might have higher recurrence rates, for example, because they're often used with cases that proved more difficult to begin with).

Review treatment options on our Web site, and per 2006 CDC guidelines:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/

Aldara tends to work better with females than males and can be used for external genital warts. On the website for the product (www.aldara.com) it says women should take care when applying the cream near the vaginal opening because skin irritation can occur on the delicate, moist skin in that area. If you have questions about how to use aldara, check first with your health care provider.

You're correct in that cigarette smoking is strongly linked with HPV persistence and recurrences, probably becuase smoking damages certain components of the immune system that are important in suppressing HPV infections. To be honest, I have never seen any data on pot smoking and HPV, so I'm not sure what to say about that. Do you feel comfortable asking your doctor/nurse about that, to see what they can tell you?

I suggest you also read some of our other discussions on the immune response and HPV clearance. For more on this go to http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394

Post anytime, and I hope this helps.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]