ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Colposcopy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 pm 

I recently received my annual pap results and it indicated that I have abnormal cells. What I was specifically told my doctor was that the cells were low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (SIL)/Mild Dysplasia/CIN I and that they may suggest the presence of HPV. I am a nursing student so I unfortunatley already know too much about HPV and am freaking out about my current situation.

I have been scheduled to have a colposcopy. I was wondering if anyone else could please share with me what this procedure is like....whether it is painful? how severe the cramping and bleeding is? or if it is emotionally draining? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:59 pm 

Dear Scared,
I can relate! To save myself the trouble of retyping, please feel free to read the dialog with the only other message I've posted--"how did I get this?" by meme. (It's probably a long way down the list.) I explained my experience with the procedure, which was just 3 weeks ago.
meme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:04 pm 

I think everyone is different when it comes to this procedure. What I'm going to tell you about my experience is not meant to scare you. Just to tell you how it was for myself personally.

I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. I've never had anything like that done ever. I'd never even broken a bone in my life let alone have a biopsy. So to say I was scared and nervous would be an understatement. My doctor and NP were really good though in trying to keep me calm and so forth. They had a tv monitor there so if I wanted, I could watch as they were performing it. Before taking samples off of the cervix, they also used what I like to call a stir stick (sorry, don't remember the technical name). They use that to take a sample from inside your cervix where they can't see. To double check nothing's there. That wasn't so bad for me personally.

Due to how it was, on my cervix they took three samples. I have to say that was the worst part. Even though they are taking a tiny sample, and supposedly a pinch, to me...well it felt like my whole cervix was being taken. lol! That's me, though. I don't do pain well. Especially the type of pain I'm not used to like this. That's when I started to cry. I think mostly from fear, and things sinking in on what was happening to me. They had the nurse try to help keep me calm, and talk to me. I was never so happy to have something over and done with in my life. lol!

As for the after effects, it wasn't so bad for me. I had discharge which I can't remember if I had it for one or one and a half days. Not bad. As for cramping, I honestly don't remember any. I think I may have had some ibprofuen before I had the procedure done in order to kind of stop that in it's tracks. Or at least make the cramps not so bad. I even went to Costco afterwards, and felt fine while I was there. I did pretty well after it was all over.

Hang in there and take a deep breath. It's not the greatest of procedures by any means, but you'll get through it. Hopefully your Dr. is good, and you won't have too much discomfort during and after. Goodluck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Go to meme's post at http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=321.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]