ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 am 

Hey Fredo.

Got a new question for you that I'm confused about. I've been doing a ton of reading online, from all over, and one thing that caught my eye is if a person is diagnoised with CIN 1 and/or LGSIL, that means it's warts on the cervix? That it means I have low-hpv, not high. That dysplasia is the same as genital warts? I'm a tad confused, and of course, concerned. I've yet to show any outward signs of genital warts. It's been almost a year since I had the pap come back with the results that found it. I came in earlier this week in a tizzy due to reading this. Very upset. My doctor tried to reassure me that I don't have genital warts on my cervix. That it's only mild dysplasia.

lol...she got a tad upset with me due to how I was acting. Upset and crying. Last two months I've spent on this computer, reading about it, has driven me crazy almost. She told me if I'm not careful, if I do have the gw kind of hpv, that it'll cause me a break out. I'm a worry wart (no pun intended, I swear) by nature. Since being diagnoised, I have had so many different stressful events (especially when jobs were being threatened at work) happen that I'm trying to convince myself if I haven't had an outbreak now, maybe it's not that kind of hpv. I know everyone says calm down, it's no big deal, everyone has it, and you'll be fine. I'm just trying to better understand it, and exactly what I have. Especially dealing with my future. I'm hoping my results come back very good, but we shall see. I'm hoping to be one of those who's immune system has fought it off. I've been popping vitamin C pills like crazy since Feb. 2007. :)

EDIT: I thought of another quetion I figured I would add here. I read that HPV strains 16 & 18 are a couple of the main ones to cause dysplasia and all that. Then I read that HPV 16 is also one that causes warts. Now, most everywhere I read it never stated anything about that. Plus, have always heard that the wart causing kind is not the same kind that causes dysplasia. Sooo...I'm a bit confused. Is HPV 16 both (GW and dysplasia)?

Thanks for letting me ramble on, and thanks for having this board around.

For those who haven't read my previous posts, here's a recap:

Had annual pap back in April 2006. Results came back with abnormal cells on the cervix...CIN 1.

Never been HPV type tested. Results only from regular pap smear. Dr. has no idea which strain of HPV I have.

Had the colscopy (sp?) done in May 2006. No cancerous cells thankfully. Dr. says it's mild dysplasia, keep an eye on it with pap tests every six months, and no signs of genital warts.

October 2006 came back for a second pap. Results were the same. Not better, but thankfully not worse. Still no signs of genital warts.

March 2007 went back for another pap test, and results should be in two weeks. Inspected and no genital warts found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again Rogue,

Dysplasia, in this case referring to abnormalities of the cervix, is usually linked with "high risk" HPV types (often HPV 16 or 18, but there are other "high risk" types as well). The "low risk" types of HPV that you most often associate with genital warts do sometimes cause abnormal Pap test readings, but it seems as if your health care provider feels confident your diagnosis does not relate to these types of HPV, probably due to your colposcopy results.

Keep in mind that cervical cancer is not a common outcome of "high risk" HPV infection, especially with women who have regular Paps and follow up exams as directed. CIN-1 often resolves on its own, and the key going forward is to go back to the clinic for follow ups, which it sounds as if you're doing.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm 

Thanks Fredo. :)

What about the second part of my question regarding HPV 16. Does that also cause genital warts as well as dysplasia? I had read that in a few places, but wasn't sure what to believe (especially not knowing how old the material was that I was reading). Most places don't state that. That's why my confusion.

Thank you again. You're a big help.

Fredo wrote:
Hi again Rogue,

Dysplasia, in this case referring to abnormalities of the cervix, is usually linked with "high risk" HPV types (often HPV 16 or 18, but there are other "high risk" types as well). The "low risk" types of HPV that you most often associate with genital warts do sometimes cause abnormal Pap test readings, but it seems as if your health care provider feels confident your diagnosis does not relate to these types of HPV, probably due to your colposcopy results.

Keep in mind that cervical cancer is not a common outcome of "high risk" HPV infection, especially with women who have regular Paps and follow up exams as directed. CIN-1 often resolves on its own, and the key going forward is to go back to the clinic for follow ups, which it sounds as if you're doing.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Approximately 90% of warts are associated with just two "low risk" types, HPV 6 and 11.

Some studies do report finding HPV 16 in warts (I think these lesions are sometimes referred to as "flat" warts), but I think for practical discussions on the message boards we can say external genital warts are not linked to "high risk" types like HPV 16 and 18.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 pm 

I want to thank you so much, Fredo. You have done so much to help ease my mind on some issues. You're truly a big help. I know there's a lot of "what if's" when it comes to this virus. Then again, there's a lot of things that seem pretty standard with the virus, and the major strains. It helps to have someone knowledgable to throw my questions to, after I cause massive paranoia in myself from reading every little article on the web. Which is what I've done to myself the past two months. Which is strange considering I had it almost a year before I started getting all concerned about it. lol.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're a gem. :)

Fredo wrote:
Approximately 90% of warts are associated with just two "low risk" types, HPV 6 and 11.

Some studies do report finding HPV 16 in warts (I think these lesions are sometimes referred to as "flat" warts), but I think for practical discussions on the message boards we can say external genital warts are not linked to "high risk" types like HPV 16 and 18.

Post subject: Mild Dysplasia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 pm 

Hello, I have a question about mild dysplasia and I'm hoping you can help! I'm going out of my mind here... I was diagnosed wih Mild dysplasia in November and was back for my follow up exam in March and mild dysplasia was still present!! Does this mean I have genital warts because I'm scared to death here and everything is going on in my head! Please Help!!

Post subject: Re: Mild Dysplasia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi Hick.
From my experience, the best thing to do is try to get in a in depth conversation with your dr. Especially to see if they ran an HPV test, and did the results come out for high risk hpv. Sometimes, from what I've read, the low risk type CAN cause mild abnormal paps, too. Thing is, from what I've read, usually only the high risk panel is ran...because that's what most dr's are concerned with. Mainly because it is linked to cervical cancers (that doesn't mean that your dysplasia WILL become cancerous...from what I've read, it's not common). I like this site's section on HPV. If you haven't seen it before, you can view it here:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm

Like for me, I didn't find out till just recently that they did indeed run an HPV test on me at the same time my pap was abnormal. I thought that they only diagnosed me via the pap alone (I heard that some healthcare providers will automatically assume it's HPV without the test). That way they were able to tell what was causing my dysplasia. It was determined that I did indeed have high risk hpv, which usually does not cause the external genital warts. Now, I'm only assuming I don't have low risk (it is possible to contract more then one strain of the virus). I've had it for about a year now, and have never shown signs of warts. Like I asked previously on this thread, I guess there can be some warts (aka flat warts) from the high risk kind...BUT I think it's not so common. At least that's the vibe I've been getting from here and elsewhere. I've been paranoid about some bumps (post about it around here somewhere), so I finally went in to have my obgyn's NP look me over. That's how I found out the test was run on me, etc.. Here's a few of my older posts that may be helpful to you:

http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=547&highlight=#547

http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=594&highlight=#594

http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1017&highlight=#1017

As you can see with the dysplasia, just need to have patience. When I went for my six month check-up, it was still there, too. It didn't get worse, thankfully, but no signs of getting better. This last check-up turns out that I'm having much better luck! I don't know if it's what's helped, but I have been taking like vitamin C, Centrum multi vitamin, and B12 vitamin. Only been about less then a month, though. Plus, from what I've read, if you're a smoker, quit. It really screws up your immune system, and makes it harder to fight the virus off...and your cervix to heal. Just trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle a bit at a time. Also trying to reduce stress can be helpful, too. In fact, March I was pretty stressed out, so I'm hoping I didn't make things worse for me again. lol! Pray, pray, pray. :)

Anyway, I'd go back to your doctor, and talk to them about the HPV test. If it wasn't done, I'd see if you could have one. Have them run both a high risk and low risk panel. Some people think why bother, you have the virus so what's the big deal. However, for some of us, it would help to know what we're dealing with exactly. That was my problem. Though I am still not sure if I have low risk, but I'm trying to stay positive that I do not. Just the high risk. Why I can deal with dysplasia better then warts...who knows? :)

Let us know how it goes and goodluck!

Hick wrote:
Hello, I have a question about mild dysplasia and I'm hoping you can help! I'm going out of my mind here... I was diagnosed wih Mild dysplasia in November and was back for my follow up exam in March and mild dysplasia was still present!! Does this mean I have genital warts because I'm scared to death here and everything is going on in my head! Please Help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Hick wrote

Quote:

Pap test readings of mild dysplasia are often found to involve "high risk" HPV types (not always, but usually). Keep in mind what Rogue said about cervical cancer being an uncommon outcome of "high risk" HPV infection, as that term is a bit alarmist. When "low risk" HPV is present, in most cases no visible symptoms develop (and when they do, they can be treated).

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:19 pm 

Thanks for all your help!! I got another apt. with my Doctor in July sooo I'm hoping it clears up by then and I'm also hoping I dont have the "low grade HPV." I totally understand what you mean when you say you'd rather have cancer than warts! I'm hoping for the high risk because I dont want genital warts, I honestly dont know what I'm gonna do if that's the case but I'll be positive till then! Wish me Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:49 pm 

Not a problem! Well...I wouldn't say I would want cancer, but I get what you mean. :lol: Dealing with my dysplasia has been a walk in the park so far. I have a great obgyn and NP to thank for that. :)

Hick wrote:
Thanks for all your help!! I got another apt. with my Doctor in July sooo I'm hoping it clears up by then and I'm also hoping I dont have the "low grade HPV." I totally understand what you mean when you say you'd rather have cancer than warts! I'm hoping for the high risk because I dont want genital warts, I honestly dont know what I'm gonna do if that's the case but I'll be positive till then! Wish me Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:46 pm 

People on this board are relieved to have high risk HPV, rather than warts. I have a friend who has suffered through cervical cancer, and I'm sure that she would have chosen to have a low risk HPV/warts over high risk HPV had she been given the choice. I thought this board was here to educate, but it seems like people are promoting ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:13 pm 

Excuse me? Did I ever once get on here stating that people should be happy they only have "high-risk" instead of the low kind? Whenever I talked about it, all I ever made the comment was for myself. Not for other people. Let's get one thing straight right now. I do not work for ASHASTD.org, I'm not a board mod, and I do not claim to be any type of health expert. Most of what I have posted on this board has come from what I've read and been told. I'm not pulling this out of my ass. Whether it be off the internet to my healthcare provider. I post because I want to help people out. I know what it's like to be diagnosed, and feel like your world is falling apart. If I'm incorrect on anything, I'm more then positive Fredo, or someone else, will correct anything I may have posted. Not a problem.

My opinions on what risk I'd rather have is my own. I'm not promoting a damn thing. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I see more people comment they'd rather deal with "low-risk" over "high-risk" anyday. Do I call them stupid for it? No. They're entitled to how they feel, and yes, I can see why they would. Do not come on this board and judge me...attack me...whatever. You don't have one damn clue to who I am, and what I deal with. Do not get high and mighty with me...ignorant yourself. I have a damn good obgyn who's been with me every step of the way. They've been good about keeping me in check with my dysplasia. Even they told me the chances of it advancing to cancer are not common. In fact, mine is already starting to regress, and I think that's pretty damn good!

Sorry to be a bitch, but I don't like the attack. I'm really and truly sorry that your friend has/had cervical cancer. I'm sure she'd have the other if she had her choice as well. If you feel this board is so uneducated, then you're welcome to add whatever you want. Go for it! It's welcomed here! This and another HPV board has been very helpful to me. Just because I personally prefer to have mild dysplasia due to "high-risk" over having "low-risk" genital warts is my own feelings. Same goes for anyone else who feels the same. Doesn't make us bad people!

wiggleworm wrote:
People on this board are relieved to have high risk HPV, rather than warts. I have a friend who has suffered through cervical cancer, and I'm sure that she would have chosen to have a low risk HPV/warts over high risk HPV had she been given the choice. I thought this board was here to educate, but it seems like people are promoting ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35 pm 

Sure you are entitled to your own feelings, and so am I. I am aware that nobody wishes to have HPV. It just baffles me that you feel having gential warts would be so terrible. Whether it's an dysplasia, or warts, it's HPV. I find it hard to believe that somebody with high risk HPV would feel that a gential warts associated with low risk would be such a horrible situation. So get off your own high horse, either way, it's HPV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:02 pm 

I wasn't aware that I was even on a high horse. :?: I was merely responding to a person who called me ignorant without knowing who I am. That's what I took major offense to. Judging me like that. I don't come to this board to be told I'm stupid. I wouldn't do that to anyone, so I don't understand why someone else would do it to me.

Yes. You are very much entitled to your own feelings and opinions. I was serious when I said you're more then welcome to add your own input. If you feel anything that I, or anyone for that matter, has posted information wise is false. Go for it. Seriously. I'm sorry that it baffles you so that some people would rather deal with dysplasia over warts any day. I'm sure you're not the only one it baffles. Not a problem. Yes, I have HPV. There's obviously no getting around that is there? :lol: I have many, many, many reasons...which are my OWN...why I rather not ever have genital warts. Sorry that it bothers you so. My life, not anyone elses.

Look. I don't want to get into an ongoing "fight". It's really not worth it. Every single person has an opinion on this matter. Especially those of us who have it. This board has been a constant source help for me, and last thing I want is it to turn into something uncomfortable. For me or anyone else. So how about we agree to disagree?

Welcome to the board wiggleworm. Hope you'll stick around, and join in more discussions.

wiggleworm wrote:
Sure you are entitled to your own feelings, and so am I. I am aware that nobody wishes to have HPV. It just baffles me that you feel having gential warts would be so terrible. Whether it's an dysplasia, or warts, it's HPV. I find it hard to believe that somebody with high risk HPV would feel that a gential warts associated with low risk would be such a horrible situation. So get off your own high horse, either way, it's HPV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:22 pm 

I don't want to fight either. I realize that I have no place to judge you, since I have not walked in your shoes. I have never had an irregular pap, and my GYN has never mentioned HPV. I came to this board because I have had several friends who have recently been treated for dysplasia, and one with cervical cancer. A few of my friends were treated for warts in college, and as far as I know they never had any reoccurances in the past 10 years. I remembering them feeling really "dirty" when it happened, but I see that it's a pretty common thing.

I came to this board to learn more about HPV since it seems to be something that a lot of my friends are dealing with. After reading all the info/posts, I can only assume that I prob have/had it too at some point too. (even though it has never showed up).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next