ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Penescopy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:28 pm 

Hi!
I've just got my warts removed, and I was told by the doctor that my partner needs to have a penescopy done. I wonder what exactly that is?
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Peniscopy is similar to what women undergo with a colposcopy, when a special microscope is used to examine the cervix/vagina to look for lesions that might be biopsied. With peniscopy, the magnifying lens is used to inspect the male genital skin. If any lesions are found, sometimes small biopsies are taken for analysis. It's not unusual for a solution (acetic acid; vinegar) to be applied to try and highlight any lesions and make them easier to see.

In and of themselves none of the above are true tests for HPV, but the idea is to make it easier to find any tiny HPV lesions that can't be seen with the naked eye. I don't think peniscopy is done very often in the context of a partner having HPV, but it is sometimes utilized and might find warts that would otherwise be overlooked.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]