ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV DNA Test
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:49 am 

I was recently diagnose with genital warts my problem is my doctor said that they where so small she really couldn't give me a definite answer so she just put me on treatment of aldara. I have been doing some research on the internet and found out that there is a HPV DNA that can detect some types of low hpv and high hpv this test is called HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
Hybrid Capture II. I'm only 24 and I would really like to have this test done so that I can get a definite yes that I do have one of the low risk hpv in my body. Do you guys think this will help me out? And I am also wanting to get a second opinion from another doctor is that still possible i have only been on the treatment for a week and a half can i still get a second opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Hello there,

Thanks for the post. The HPV DNA test approved for clinical use, the Hybrid Capture 2 HPV test, is only approved for use with the cervix specifically. It isn't used as a general means of checking one's HPV status, or with external genital warts.

Genital warts are usually diagnosed clinically with a visual inpspection and you're right, sometimes there can be confusion. Getting a second opinion is not a bad idea if the diagnosis is unclear, and sometimes a health care provider can use a magnifying lens to help with the diagnosis. It would be good to see the new doctor while the lesions are still there, if possible.

If in fact you do have genital warts, that only means that so many others, you've been exposed to a common skin virus; up to 75-80% of sexually active people are thought to contract HPV at some point, although for most they never are diagnosed.

Some experts believe that removing genital warts may lower the risk of transmission since it reduces the areas of tissue that contain most of the virus. Removing warts cannot guarantee that the risk of transmission is removed. However, if no symptoms recur in the subsequent months following treatment, the chance of transmission dramatically decreases, and some researchers consider the possibility of being contagious during this time would be minimal to remote.

I hope this helps but if you have other questions, post anytime.

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 am 

So after treatment will I have another outbreak and will the HPV virus eventually disappear or will I have it forever?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]