ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 am 

Hello –
I was recently diagnosed with High Risk HPV and just had my colposcopy and a biopsy done yesterday. It was the first time I sat down to talk to my dr. about the virus since I received notification by mail that I had High Risk HPV. I researched it alot before I went in and I wasn't even worried about getting it recently from my husband. I was more worried about other things (i.e., risk of cancer and other problems) since I read how I could have contracted the virus earlier and it could have stayed dormant for years and is just now surfacing. I have been with my husband for over 6 years, have an 18 mth old daughter and have never once suspected cheating going on. My dr. says he has never seen a case where the girl has been in a monogamous relationship for years and the virus surfaces later. Almost always, the girl comes back in and after discussions w/ her partner finds out he has been cheating. Basically, left the office in tears came home, yelled at my husband accusing him and he got upset since he swears to me he has never ever cheated and once we both calmed down and looked at the facts I read over the weekend - I saw in many different articles how either one of us could have contracted it in the past and it can surface later. We both had a few partners in the past. I'm so confused. I'm reading one thing and my dr. is completely contradicting it. This is my first time seeing this dr. since we just moved so I really want to go to another one and discuss this. I would just like to see if anyone else has been in this situation and if so, has had a 2nd opinion on this topic. I truly believe my husband, but I have to say - the dr.'s comments are sticking in the back of my mind.

Another question...is there any information out there how after having a baby can bring out this virus? After I had my daughter, I have discovered I'm allergic to several things I have never been allergic to in the past, have a bartolin cyst (cyst on one of my glands in the inside vaginal wall - that was told to me mostly occurs after delivering a baby and is non-cancerous). I’m getting boils. Just seems like my whole immune system is completely different.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:13 pm 

I think it's important to choose a doctor that you feel comfortable with. Not all healthcare providers have very good bedside manners so there is absolutely nothing wrong with finding somebody that is going to help you through this situation physically as well as emotionally.

It is possible to carry HPV and not know it. Also, a case of HPV doesn't necessarily mean that your partner or spouse has cheated so try and keep that in mind when you are doing your research.

In my most unprofessional opinion (I am not a healthcare provider) I don't think having a baby OR being pregnant would cause you to have HPV. Is that what you were trying to ask?

Hang in there and keep us posted, ok?

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

A person can have HPV for weeks, months, or even years before a diagnosis is made, and it's difficult to determine answers to the "when" and "from whom" questions that commonly arise when HPV is diagnosed in a relationship. In and of itself, it's difficult to look at a current HPV diagnosis as an automatic indication of infidelity.

Women with latent HPV infection often have lesions (genital warts or cervical cell changes) develop during pregnancy, as this is a time of suppressed immunity. There can be other factors (not too well understood) that serve to "awaken" HPV infection in different individuals, too.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]