ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Couldn't happen to me
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:20 pm 

Hello all. This is my first posting. I'm 47 single female. I haven't had sex in almost 2 years. You can imagine my surprise when I found out I have HPV. It was a kick in my gutt. I'm overwhelmed by all of this. I am disgusted and ashamed. I'm having my colpscopy next Thursday. I've had the same female gyno since 1989 (thank god) so that makes it a little easier. I had a hysterectomhy in 2001 so no worry about cervical cancer. I'm a strong person but right now I am devastated. I feel like "damaged goods". I'm single and feel like I might as well hide inside and become a nun. I've been reading a lot of your posts and I take a small amount of comfort in knowing I am not alone. I was sick in 2005-Jan 2006 with gallstones. I had surgery in Jan 2006 and noticed shortly after surgery I had a bump on my vagina. I thought was from shaving. Because I didn't know anything about HPV I didn't give it much thought. I had a uti in Aug where I pass blood big time.

My questions are:

Could I have had this for the last year and not realized it?
What do others do to boost the immune system?
Should I be concern about cancer in vagina or vulva?
I'm going to ask dr to test me for every std known to man. Am I being unrealistic?
I've scheduled an appt with a therapist Did any of you seek help from a therapist? Did it help?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:56 pm 

1. From what I understand, you could've had this for a long time, and not have known. Most people are asymptomatic (did I spell that right? lol!). They don't even know they have it. One of the main reasons this is so easily spread. Even more so for men. Unless they have the HPV type that causes genital warts...and they pop up...they don't know they're carriers. There's no test for them other then visual, or found out one of their partners contracted it. Especially if they're carriers of the high risk HPV. I suspected the last person I slept with two months prior to my abnormal pap. However, my obgyn said it may or may not have been him. Stating that it can lay dormant in my system for years. So unless you know for sure who, it can be hard to say. I have read that stress, major illness, and even childbirth can bring on HPV symptoms, if you have it in your system. Your surgery could've triggered it. Not saying for sure, but it's possible. Weakened your immune system. So as you can see, that's one of the many frustrating things about this virus.

2. Well if you're a smoker, I definitely suggest quitting NOW. It does not help you at all in trying to recover from this. I've read that vitamins can be helpful. As for what kinds, not too positive. I thought I read Vitamin C can be helpful. Just basically trying to eat better and take better care of yourself.

3. Well...not sure, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on your vagina and vulva. Someone more knowledgable then me can probably help you answer that.

4. It doesn't hurt to check, I don't think. So I say go for it. If anything, for your piece of mind.

5. Again, I don't think that would hurt. Probably a good idea. I've never done it myself, but sometimes think I should. If anything, it can help you on your way to starting to cope with this. Someone to help sort your thoughts and feelings.

Goodluck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:16 pm 

Rogue,
Thanks for your response. I don't smoke and rarely drink. I'm a healthy eater...had weight surgery in 2003. I'm currently taking vitamin C, B6 and B12 on a daily basis. I have an underactive thyroid and take levothyroid. No major health issues. I'm dealing with alot of acne right now and look like a teenager. I would like to visit the vitamin shop to get something to boost the immune system. I don't want to wait 1-2 years to get rid of this virus. Yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 am 
Site Admin

You can view a previous discussion on nutrition and HPV at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=146. There's been a great deal of talk about the role of folic acid (B vitamins, essentially) in cervical health.

Vaginal and vulvar cancers are pretty rare, but certainly ask your health care provider about them if you're concerned. There no basic screening for either beyond the standard gynecological exam, which is why annual pelvic exams are important.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]