ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 pm 

Hi everyone! Iam so glad that this site is here for all of us. Well my store is I waited 6 months after sleeping my boyfriend to make sure things would be accurate and all my test came back negative and then about 3 months later I noticed a wart, it was pink and then it changed . I couldn"t believe it , I waited and now I think I'm in the clear , to find out no you're not. smh . So I finally told him and he had nothing to say . So hurtful. So after months of staying busy . I thought why should I stop living and got back into the dating scene. So far I end up with friends and I want kids marriage etc..... I wonder sometime am I kidding myself . Iam hopeful though.
I wonder though when to talk about it. I don't want my business in the streets but I know I have to tell the person . I'm not sure what to do . Any suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi strong,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story. If you have a wart now, or have had one in the last few months, it seems reasonable to suggest telling a partner about it before having sex. It gets cloudy once you get six months, 12 months, a year or two beyond last having anything detected...what do you say, and do you even need to say anything? It seems harsh to expect someone to talk about HPV for the rest of their lives, say, even years after the last wart was found. Most experts would say, I think, this isn't necessary. As your story points out, though, warts can come back unpredictably and why they usually don't pop up again many years down the road, HPV can be unpredictable.

Do what makes you comfortable and let me know what you think.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 pm 

Well what I've been doing is telling the person when they show a strong interest. I so don't want to lead anyone on . I try not to get too attached I've noticed . This really sucks , It like something I read, Misplaced trust can open the door to misery. So far this last guy is being cool about it , so I told him about this website and he listens very well to me. When I first posted I thought that it was over between us but Im not so sure now. Who knows.....

I havent gotten them removed yet , I am trying natural ways of doing it . I see some emprovement. I'll be going to the doctor next week. Pray for me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 am 

I can't sleep so here I am. Ever since I spoke to my guy about this , it seems he was understanding about everything but now I'm not so sure. This is hurting me since I really am feeling this guy, and It appeared that he is feeling me. I know this is life right now . Just venting so hopefully I can get some much needed sleep.
Are there any happy couples out there who face HPV as a issue in the relationship? Please share with me for some hope here.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

This article might be of help:

Disclosing Genital Warts to Partners

British study indicates partners more accepting than expected

HPV News August 2008
© The American Social Health Association

Learning that a sexual partner has been diagnosed with genital warts may not prompt the negative reaction many fear, according to a British study published in Sexually Transmitted Infections.

To better understand what factors are important in disclosing a genital warts diagnosis to a partner, Dr. Louise Scrivener, with the Department of Psychology at the University of London, and colleagues recruited 54 patients with a history of genital warts who have had a sexual relationship since their diagnosis. The participants, all of whom were patients at a London medical clinic, completed questionnaires that assessed anxiety, perceptions of stigma around STIs, and relationship variables. 57% of participants identified as white, 30% as black and 13% as Asian.

67% of the subjects reported having informed their partner of the diagnosis, with the main reasons for dong so including honesty, the partner having a right to know, desire to prevent transmission, and stress related to not disclosing. Disclosers had lower overall anxiety levels and were more likely to describe their relationships as long-term and close.

Non-disclosers, who most often cited embarrassment and fear of a negative reaction as prime reasons for not telling a partner, were more likely to express regret over their decision than were disclosers. Such fears may have been unfounded, though, as those who disclosed said the partner’s response was much better than expected.

Reference:
L Scrivener et al. Disclosure of anogenital wars to sexual partners. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2008; 84(3): 179-182.

Posted 9.26.08 by Fredo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:05 pm 

I went to the doctor for my annual and showed her my "warts" and she said that they are skin tags. Iam confused . Not that I want to have warts but I have thinking that I have this HPV and crying etc....... I told my guy about this and I didn't have anything. I feel glad that I went to the doctor and all . Well she offered to send me to a ob gyn to rest my mind about this and so I'll be going to them soon. Also I told her that my last doctor told I didn't have HPV when I had my last annual . So she told me that he would of only checked for high risk HPV . Now that kinda upset me a little becuse if I tell you to test me for evverything , test me for EVERYTHING! So I can know Iam ok all the way.
Just venting. Iam sooo glad that I don't have HPV , I'm just trying really believe it, is all.
Did anyone else have the same experience?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:22 pm 

Hi,
I was diagnosed with HPV 6 years ago, when I had some warts. First of all I would recommend getting them frozen off. It's the fastest and most effective way to get rid of them. Since then, I have never had any more. I got the Gardasil vaccine when it came out later, to protect from the other types of HPV. But HPV has really not been an issue in my life since 6 years ago.

I have told boyfriends and even a one night stand I had HPV and guys really don't care. If you don't have warts at the time, it's really not going to do anything to them. I guess the only thing is they could be a carrier for it, and then give it to another woman in the future, which could make them more prone to cervical cancer. But I really don't think HPV is a big deal, as long as you get your annual pap smears to make sure your cervix is healthy you will be fine.

HPV is so common I think most men are pretty used to hearing that a woman has it. What is it like 80% or something of women by a certain age have it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
HPV is so common I think most men are pretty used to hearing that a woman has it. What is it like 80% or something of women by a certain age have it?

Right and, whether they know it or not, a similar number of men are likely to have (or have had) HPV, too.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]