ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm 

So I have been talking to this girl that I know that has had hpv. I myself am a virgin and dont have any std. I was talking to her about it an she has had it for about 2 years an has only had one out break and hasnt had any since and her pap came back negitive. So Me being wanting to learn, I've been searching the net for anyone like me that has met someone they like an are wanting some advice. I've always liked her for a long time an i finally got teh courage to ask her out an then I found that out. I wasn't angry, just bummed so im just at a loss of what I should do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:33 am 

Doing research on her health issue is a very good thing to do. Now you can inform yourself and figure out where you see your relationship headed in spite of her health condition.

In the meantime, have you had any routine std testing done? Depending on your definition of what it means to be a "virgin" it might be helpful to know your status as well.

Good luck,

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Your situation is very common, increasingly so as more people are learning about HPV.

One thing we talk about frequently on the message board is how most people seem able to clear HPV over time. The tough part is there is no way to know for certain if an HPV infection can be transmitted after a set amount of time, and no test that can confirm it one way or the other, and this is probably the most frustrating aspect of all.

It does seem that the immune response is able to take care of HPV on its own in most cases, and there are a number of researchers who think that if someone goes for a year or more with no recurrences, the risks of transmitting the virus to a new partner are likely to have diminished greatly. Still, there is no way to know how this might apply to the partner you mention in your post.

Keep in mind that while HPV is very common (most sexually people have an HPV infection at some point, although most never know it) it usually isn't dangerous. Also, condoms can't offer 100% protection against HPV but are likely to be effective for the skin they cover, so consider using them.

Hope this helps and post anytime.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 am 

Yea Im just at a lost at what I should do. She wants a relationship but she doesnt want runin anybody else life either and me being a virgin she doesnt want the burnden if it doesnt work out. I've read about how it can go away on its own. Her last pap test came back neg for anything out the norm, but I don't know if she has had an recent testing.

edit: sorry for the delay been super busy at work and with other things. I will take your information an go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am 

It sounds like she's only had external genital warts. They are usually not a health risk - more of a cosmetic issue. Sure no one ever wants to get warts anywhere on their body but hpv is very common and external warts are more of a nuisance than anything.

Most folks don't think twice about them on their feet or their hands - why should the genitals be all that much different?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]