ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misdiagnosis?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:12 pm 

Hello everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am a 21 year old guy in college and recently had a scare with HPV. I noticed a few very, VERY tiny bumps on the head of my penis about two months ago and immediately assumed it was HPV. After reading as much as I could, not being sexually active with anyone, and going through all the emotions possible for dealing with this wretched sti, I finally got up the courage and went to see my campus doctors. To make a long story short, I saw two doctors that deal primarily in sti's (one has 15 years experience while the other has over 30 and specializes in dermatology), and they both told me that they didn't see anything that looked like a wart. Now, I'm not one to argue with someone as experienced as they are (being on a college campus they see genital warts on a daily basis), but I'm still not convinced that these bumps are normal. Am I wrong to think like this? The last thing I would want is to pass this onto someone when I even suspect that I might have it. Please give me your thoughts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 pm 

There's a lot of things they could be other than warts. But just because they don't look like warts doesn't mean that they aren't.

My "warts" didn't look like "warts." For me, it was just two slightly darker areas adjacent to one another, ~1 mm in diameter a piece. Then there was a speck about a cm off <1 mm in diameter. All I knew is that they weren't there a month ago. My PCP said it didn't look like any wart he had ever seen, and he said there's probably no need to do anything. I told him to take 'em, send 'em to the lab. Turned out they were warts. I came back, he took the "speck," and then noticed an area on the underside neither I or he had noticed before. He took that too, had it biopsied, and it turned out to be a wart too. It also was non-typical and really indistinguishable from the glandular flesh down there.

I'd recommend having a couple excised and then biopsied. It's not a big deal. They take a little pinch of skin, snip it off, then cauterize it with silver nitrate. You have a little black scab for a couple days and then it heals and there's clean, pink skin underneath.

That is the only way to be sure, and if they weren't there before, I definitely would want to know what they are.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm 

oligarch_ wrote:
I'd recommend having a couple excised and then biopsied. It's not a big deal. They take a little pinch of skin, snip it off, then cauterize it with silver nitrate.

Oh yeah ... they numb the area first of course. It's just a little shot with a small needle. That is the worst part of it, and it isn't bad at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:23 am 

That sounds like a very worthwhile but very specialized/expensive procedure. I'm going to ask tomorrow if they offer that or where I might go to get it done. I've always been under the impression that you couldn't really test for HPV in men but I guess that's not entirely true

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:20 pm 

Fontana wrote:
That sounds like a very worthwhile but very specialized/expensive procedure. I'm going to ask tomorrow if they offer that or where I might go to get it done. I've always been under the impression that you couldn't really test for HPV in men but I guess that's not entirely true

Actually, a biopsies are pretty routine. If you're going to your campus health clinic, it should be covered by your student fees. I never had a wart biopsied in college, but they did take off some moles and check for malignancy.

Another suggestion would be to go to a STD clinic. Most of them are very reasonable price-wise, and some have sliding-scale fees -- i.e. if you havae no income, you don't pay for treatment.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]