ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:58 pm 

this is my first time here ,hello today i was at home when a call came in, it was a doctor for us 2 get back with there office at first it did not thing nothing of it ,then i call me fiancee at work gave her the num. and she reminded me she when to the doctors about 2 weeks ,at this point im scare what can be so wrong the a doctor is calling my home ,she calls me back and trought the phone line i can hear in her voice something is so wrong,i could not wait till she came home so i when to her job, and there she gave the worse news ever,at this point she is high risk to have cervical cancer ,what ever do they meing with high risk ,im scare yes i am, :cry: but iam more scare the i might not be has strong has she is ,now we have to wait 6 moths so she gets a nothere test and will go fron there :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Hello Danmel,

Thanks for your post. It can be really scary, no doubt, when you hear the words "high risk" and "cervical cancer" but keep in mind that very, very few "high risk" HPV infections lead to cervical cancer. Usually, if a woman goes for Pap tests and other follow up exams as directed, she's at low risk of developing cervical cancer.

It's very common with mild cases for the health care provider (like a doctor or nurse) to just tell a woman they'll do another Pap in a few months. That gives the body a chance to deal with things on its own, but still allows the health care provider time to do any treatments that might be needed. Your partner should speak with her proivder if she has any questions about her diagnosis or follow up.

Many experts also believe that over time, the body actually clears the HPV infection on its own - it doesn't happen that way in every case, and follow up Paps are important, but usually HPV doesn't cause issues over and over for a long time.

I hope this helps and if you have anything else to chat about, just let us know.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]