ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:25 pm 

At this point, I don't even know where to start. I am a female and 27 and was diagnosed with HPV about two years ago. I have had two coloscopies. The first was when I was initially diagnosed and was fine. The second just happened, and did not come out so well.

On Thursday I will have a LEEP (cutting away of abnormal cervical tissue) and a CO2 Vaporization (removing abnormal tissue from my vaginal walls). I am very scared and upset about this surgery.

I was wondering if there were any ladies out there that had had this surgery and how you did after. Also, does this mean I could have cervical cancer? Does this mean I have internal genital warts?

And, on another note. I hooked up with an ex the other night. We had protected sex .... but, he slipped it in for a minute before I demanded a condom. Is he now at risk? He is not a nice guy and I am scared of him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:47 pm 

I had a LEEP done about 5 yrs ago. I know it can be scary but hopefully this post will help a little. Before the LEEP, the doctor might have you take some Motrin to help with any cramping you may experience. You will be set up as if you are going to have a pap smear. There was a medical assistant and nurse in the room to assist the doctor. The medical assistant was also there to hold my hand and talk me through the procedure. The doctor will inject your cervix with a lidocaine/epinephrine mixture to numb the area. You will feel a stick and a little cramping. She then takes a cauderizing instrument and burns a layer of your cervix off. The LEEP is uncomfortable and there is cramping/discharge afterwards. I never had the other procedure you mentioned. I hope this helps in some way. If I can help or answer any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:48 pm 

I also forgot to tell you that you will need someone to drive you to and from the procedure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 pm 

I will be put under general anesthia and the surgery is scheduled for 1.5 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 pm 

I am not familiar with the CO2 Vaporization procedure. If you are put under anesthesia then you will not remember anything after they give you the medication. I know that it doesn't make it any less scary. In regards to your results of your pap, a procedure is usually done when there is high grade changes with the cells. You would have to speak with your doctor though on what is the actual diagnosis from the pap.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Confused STL,

Daisy has more direct insight on LEEP than I, but I'll share what I know. The Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) involves using a thin wire loop through which an electrical current is briefly passed, making it a very precise cutting tool. A prime advantage of LEEP is that if gives the clinician the ability to see the lesions(s) being removed and it yields a tissue sample which may be evaluated further.

The cervix is numbed prior to the procedure, and medicine is applied topically to minimize bleeding.

Complication rates post-LEEP are usually very low according to most studies. It's not unusual for there to be bleeding or discharge afterwards; we encourage you to ask your health care provider what you may expect and what sorts of things they may want you to inform them about.

Follow-up exams are typically scheduled 4 months after LEEP, and it's usually recommend not to do any heavy lifting or insert anything vaginally for several weeks afterwards (again, consult with your clinician as to specific recommendations for your case).

As for cervical cancer, it's a rare outcome of HPV infection and regular Pap tests, treatment when needed, and follow up exams are typically sufficient to prevent cancer from developing. Ask your health care provider if you have questions about your diagnosis, including any about warts, but you may not even have the HPV types that cause warts (and when those types are present they don't often lead to visible symptoms).

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]