ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:59 am 

I've been recently contracted both HPV and HSV (still waiting to be tested for blood test since it's too soon to have it done).

I posted a message previously but I just have specific questions to people who actually have had these symptoms and experiences.

1. Does anyone have both HPV and HSV? Any other symptoms beside warts for HPV and blisters or/and painful urination for HSV?

2. If you've taken acyclovir which stopped the urination pain after a week, is it safe to say I have HSV for sure?

3. Did any females have developed bump (size of a pea) on inner-lip of clitoris and popped few days after causing bleeding? Bad smell before it popped?

4. Can you really contract herpes or HPV through skin-to-skin contact or kissing? I've always used condom after finding out I had warts and never had sex after I found out I potentially have HSV-1 herpes from someone who I accidently (I will regret for the rest of my life.) received oral sex. Skin-to-skin or kissing may transmit HPV or HSV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:12 am 

Guess no one has both HPV and HSV...sigh~

I tested positive for hsv-1 genitally and I still have warts after 4 times of treatment by liquid nitrogen at a clinic. Watching nasty warts multiplying and planning on taking pills for the rest of your life is overwhelmingly upsetting.

I hope there is cure for both soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jimmy,

Over time genital herpes outbreaks tend to become milder, less frequent, and of shorter duration. This is especially true of genital HSV-1. Often, medication is optional. Work with your health care provider about this, but it's not probable you'll have little choice other than taking medication from now on.

Genital warts can increase in size or number, and can recur, even with treatment, but this isn't likely to go on forever. Recurrences are most common the first three months or so after treatment, and can of course continue for longer periods. Once someone has been clear of warts for six months or so, recurences aren't likely unless the immune system gets really over-taxed.

I know how frustrating all this has to be for you! Please keep checking in and ask Betsy B. for any HSV info you might need.

Best always,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm 

Thanks Fredo.

I will follow up and most likely start suppressive therapy. It is extremely hard.

Post subject: To Fredo,
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:34 pm 

It's been over 6 months with warts and 2 weeks with HSV-1.

Today, my anus area was extremely itching and tingling that I had to
scratch and take a warm bath. Would this be a new symptoms from HPV?
Can you develop anus warts without anal sex?

If I have low-risk hpv because I have visible warts, it doesn't mean I don't
also have high-risk hpv because there is usually no visible symptoms, right?
There is no testing for men so is my option only to have extra-cautious sex with my girlfriend? I don't want to give my girlfriend high-risk hpv or herpes seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:42 am 

Hi Fredo,

Please, please help...
I've been extremely concerned about my newly symptoms and desperately waiting for your response. I hate to come online and bother you guys but new symptoms appear every so often and I'm just having so much hard time dealing with them. Hopefully, I can hear from you soon and please excuse my anxiety.

1) Can you get warts in anus if you are a straight man with no anal sexual contact? I had blood on stool and doctor said there was tear in rectum. Matches anal cancer symptoms. What's your opinion? It's extremely itchy for past 2 days. I MEAN REALLY REALLY ITCHY.

2) My girlfriend had severe change of voice after she performed oral sex. (This was few months when I had no warts present but it could've been dormant period.) She really lost her voice for 2 weeks. It happened twice and every time when she performed oral sex. Is this possible oral cancer symptoms? It matches from online articles. She's been having bad breath after that incident.

3) After having warts on shaft of penis, I've also noticed discoloration on the lower portion of the tip of penis (flesh color to dark, bruise-color). My skin where I got circumcised somewhat changed to yellowish color with more wrinkles. Possible penile cancer? I had drip of blood from penis once (1-2 drop). I heard people with HPV have higher risk of penile cancer. =(
4) I read your post about Gardisil. If I'm in the age range but have warts, do you recommend it and would it potentially eliminate warts or prevent from penile cancer if you already have hpv and herpes?

Sorry for so many questions. Please help me to get through because I'm living in hell day by day. I can't afford to go to see urologists and clinics can do so much for you. But I do want to detect any cancers. Also, you seem to have accurate information and can be reliable. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hey there pal,

I'm sorry this has been so hard on you. I can't tell you what's most likely the cause of your symptoms (or your girlfriend's), so anything that worries you will need to just be evaluated by your doctor.

What I CAN tell you is that all of the cancers you mention are rare, rare outcomes of any HPV infection, and when they do happen are virtually always related to "high risk" types of the virus that aren't linked with warts. Oral cancer, for example, isn't associated with warts and typically takes 10 years or so after exposure to develop.

Similarly, warts don't cause penile cancer, and this particular cancer usually has an "early" lesion called Bowen's Disease, where the skin has a superficial malignancy that is often treated on an out-patient basis.

In another post of yours to which I responded today, I chatted a bit about anal warts in someone with no history of anal sex. Read it by clicking http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5285

I hope this helps. Again, get any symptoms checked out to see what might be happening (if anything), and if your doctor wants you to do something. Let us know, ok? :)

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 am 

Thanks a lot, Fredo~ =)

Many clinicians and doctors certainly feel confident to identify the problem after their observation. I will update later and I felt much better after reviewing your response. A LOT BETTER...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:41 pm 

Hey Jimmy, just to give you some feedback also:

In regards to the anal itching, right before and after I was treated for my GW I also experienced some extremely intense itchiness of the anus as well...I would be scooting all over my seat in class it was so irritating. I'm guessing it's because, as I was manifesting warts at the time, the viral presence in the skin was high enough to be aggravating skin in within a close vicinity. After my treatment, it seems that it's gone away for now.

I can't recall who else, but I've also seen on these boards of others citing itchiness and feeling it was due to HPV infection. So at least in regards to the itchiness, you're definitely not the only one there.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. We've all been there, we know how you're feeling *hug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 am 

Thanks AoKanojo!

Did you ever have had sexual intercourse in anal? So I can develop warts on my anus without any sexual activity on anal?

Post subject: Please HELP !!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:20 am 

It's been almost 3 weeks after receiving oral sex from this female.

I've been confirmed by clinician through viral culture test that I have hsv-1 and hpv. I was reading more information on website that you can also contract HIV through oral sex. I had warts treated 1 week prior to the oral sex with this female and it was healed after scabs that fell off completely. Also, she continuously performed oral sex even when I was ejaculating cum which is higher-risk of contracting HIV virus.

I know I have to go get tested for HIV but I am so scared now. I know risk is low but I am at higher-risk of contracting HIV although low risk compared to vaginal or anal transmition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:49 am 

Hope I can get really prompt reply from you about the two questions.

I also found out you are more vulnerable to contract HIV if you already have herpes and hpv. =:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:35 pm 

Heya Jimmy,

I did try anal intercourse once because the bf wanted to try....I'll be blunt and say it lasted about 10 seconds at most =P So in my case, the skin could have been inoculated from that one go, but since then I've not attempted again, both due to lack of interest in doing so, and now that I know that both my partner and I have HPV I'd rather not risk anal warts.

It's possible that I have some on the inside, but I have no symptoms or problems (then again I don't know symptoms for anal warts). I also have tried looking in the shower before, I haven't felt anything strange.

My guess, though, is that yes it could be possible to get anal warts if, as Fredo said, your GW were ever close to the anus (actually, a few of mine were). Also, as the virus lives in the skin, my hypothesis would be that it could move around inside of it---meaning that its span of influence could be the anogenital region in general. Though of course having anal intercourse would put you at higher risk of the bumpies.

I would have to look around on the board and see who else had told me about itching....I never asked her if she had anal intercourse as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:25 pm 

You are so kind to give me such a prompt reply. First thing I did as soon as I opened my eyes was to check the response. It was very comforting despite of fact that I may have developed anal warts. Thanks AoKanjo.

I would rather hear accurate information and thanks for always trying to answer my numerous questions. :)

It's a lot to deal with especially when you have hpv and herpes and now, I have to go through another 3 months of hell (window period) to get tested for HIV. I didn't know one few mins of oral sex can give such a huge impact in one's life. Chance is about 1% but I was unlucky when I contracted hsv1 from a girl without sores present so I am even more scared.

Anyways, thanks. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:55 pm 

Don't worry, answers and comfort are what we're here for =) We'll all do our best to help you out, and we understand what it's like to have something and feel down and out. It's been about 4 months since I first knew I had HPV, and in the beginning I felt HORRIBLE, but with time and the help I received here I feel a lot better.

In regard to HIV.....you have fears that you have it, or that your partner has it? Was reading your posts over again, it seemed to just pop up in your last post. It just seemed a bit random, because at least in the US HIV is generally confined more to the male homosexual population and IV drug users/those who are partnered with people using drugs like that.

But anyway, I'll relay what I know about the virus for you to help ease you mind a bit. As far as getting HIV, I would think the percentage of getting it through oral sex would be even less than 1%....not to belittle your feelings, but luckily for men it's much harder to get HIV than it is for women, having to do with the exposure time to body fluids. Oh, in regard for the giver of oral sex getting HIV----HIV is actually a very fragile virus. It can't live outside of the body for more than a minute or two, I think........also the digestive enzymes in a person's saliva can kill HIV, it's that sensitive. (Yay for taking AIDS and STDS at UCLA).

However, as you were recently treated for GW, I would recommend that---if you can---you maybe go for just using hands rather than the mouth if you're concerned about transmission. This would be applicable for HPV and HSV as well.

OK, I don't want to be scary, especially as you have enough on your plate, but it's best to be frank yeah? The thing is that the skin may be healed to the naked eye, but you could have small tiny cuts or openings that you can't see. So if you wanted to be extra-sure, maybe avoid using mouths so that there isn't mucosa-mucosa contact. At least when I was treated for GW with electrocautery (burning of the wart with electricity), the physician told me that, ideally, I should avoid sex for a month. The long window is probably extended, just to ensure that people are healed up before they have intercourse again.

Up until now, though, I think transmission for you is slim, but I'm just offering additional advice to help you out and maybe for peace of mind.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next