ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm 

Welcome Confused! (Gonna call you CB...typing enough on this forum makes me lazy =P ) We'll do what we can to help you through whatever you're going through.

And I'm glad to see you're feeling better Jimmy :wink: I still can understand your anxiety with HIV; especially since you're having to wait with your test in order to obtain the highest accuracy. Everyone here is one of the minority that ended up with HPV symptoms, so I can sympathize with how you feel in being one of the unfortunates.

Huh, I had thought HSV usually had symptoms too----I guess now I know that isn't true....are you able to harbor HSV silently the way you can with HPV? That's something I need to look up myself. I just wonder, because although my current boyfriend had tested negative with a standard test, HSV and HPV aren't included, and I ended up with HPV from him.

Then again, when my immune system went down and let HPV out, I would think that HSV would have shown up too---as I had posted before, I had been pregnant for some time, which I blame as the deciding factor in causing overt symptom manifestations for HPV.

So, actually, I have a question for you two, Jimmy and CB----how much do HSV tests cost? Maybe I ought to have one done at some point just to make sure.

In a way, I suppose it's a mixed blessing that I actually had HPV symptoms.....at least now that I know I have HPV, should I ever have other partners in the future, I would know to make sure to be safer in sexual practices and be able to inform them about my status if it's apropos.....otherwise I could have been a silent carrier just like my bf and end up passing it to others without meaning to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:36 am 

I don't know how much they charge you for HSV testing at gyno or urologist.
It's free in local clinic but you have to wait about a week for the result. Window period for HSV testing is a month but sometimes it can be longer depending on who you speak with.

I am just going to think I don't have to worry about hiv. My luck can not be that bad and there was absolutely no considerable blood present at that time. Thanks Fredo and have a safe holiday weekends for all.

Feel free to ask any questions confused/broken. I am not an expert but I can always give you an advise from my horrible experience and research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:07 pm 

Hey Fredo,

A quick question:

Does blurred vision associate with any potential symptoms of HPV or HSV?
I know hsv-1 sometimes cause infection but I'm not too worried since I didn't have direct contact on my eyes. I am also not worried about HIV because blurred vision only occurs in later stage after AIDS.

I haven't found any articles that directly links to hpv so any advise?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:39 am 

I wish there is an edit function so I don't have to make multiple posts.

Regarding the vision symptoms, I just really want to know what are the chances, if there is any, of infecting my eyes when I wash my face off using the same towel to wash my genital area.

As I've mentioned, I have blurred vision, increased floaters, itchy/burning sensation around my eyes (no visible sores), and sharp pain for few seconds almost everyday.

Has there been any cases of self-infecting eyes among hpv or hsv patients?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 pm 

Fredo,

I went ahead and visited a doctor at school about my concerns, which you mostly know about. I just want to confirm one fact:

HPV/HSV Eye Infection: I've been having noticeable blurred vision and increased floaters. Doctor said there would be visible symptoms around my eyes if I have been infected with herpes or hpv on my eyes. Is it true? What could possibly cause blurred vision? She said it's almost impossible to infect my eyes if I use a same towel to wash my genital area. Even if there are sores, she said it's unlikely to infect my eyes but possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:55 am 

Hey Jimmy! I'm sure you're sick of hearing me chime in all the time *wink*

I'm not sure about the blurred vision, but floaters can happen without a real cause----I know, I know, one more thing that no one knows exactly why.

For example, I have floaters too, occasionally. At our age (I'm 24) it is very rare to have them, so I told my father that I had had several episodes of them so he got concerned. I got checked out by an eye doctor, complete with that weird contraption on his head, and he said my eye looked fine and normal...........therefore, we're all still not sure why I have them.

Like your doctor said, if HSV was doing stuff to your eye, I would *think* you would have symptoms/lesions. Then again, I think it was Confused who brought up having HSV without having overt symptoms. These viruses are really emo lil buggers, ain't they.

Anyway, I hope you find out more information about that! I'd look it up myself but I'm drowsy from my Vicodin, hehe. Not tired enough to sleep yet though, did enough resting while icing my face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for that update, Jimmy. Sounds like there isn't much to worry about regarding HPV or HSV and your eyes.

Ocular herpes usually results from an oral herpes infection that, as it reactivates, happens to take an odd nerve pathway that leads to the eye. Usually only one eye is affected. It is possible but not common to transmit HSV to the eye through touching sores, and when this happens it's usually during an initial outbreak.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 pm 

Hi Jimmy....Welcome to the board!! I have been taking a month "off" the board to try to deal with some hypochondriac issues. I was recently tested for HIV, Hepatitis and Herpes because I had never been tested (always used a condom in the past) and wanted to know my status. I was negative for all 3 which was a huge relief.

I don't think it makes sense to try to pursue this girl anymore or even to "label" her. We are all responsible for our sexual decisions and at this point, I would simply get tested at the appropriate time. Also, STOP READING about symptoms!! Most of the time a symptom can be any number of things ranging from an STD to something that is completely normal. If you are worried about something, see a professional. It is their job to know the difference between something that you should be tested for and something that doesn't require testing.

Also, I too experienced intense anal itching. My doctor attributed it to my body's immune system fighting off the HPV. I don't know if that is true or not, but at this point, since I was tested for other possible STDs, I'm not going to worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm 

Thank you to AoKanojo, Fredo, Confused, and Callie.

It's been really difficult to deal with these new issues all on the same year. I know I should be responsible but just amazed how people can careless and manipulate other people's mind.

I had to self-educate myself because I had so many conflicting diagnosis from different doctors and clinicians. So I came into this forum to hear their personal experiences which may be more accurate than doctors reading off of their books. I received many great responses from people who already have hpv/herpes, newly infected, and advisors from this forum.

Hopefully, none of my symptoms are linked to any serious diseases because I am already handful of dealing with both at this point.

I wish you guys have a great holidays and stay healthy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:27 am 

It has been little over a month from the exposure.

According to a doctor I've visited, she said:

My blurred vision is probably not due to hiv or hsv-1. It's extremely unusual to self-infecting your eyes soon after washing the same towel on your genital area. (There were few times I used the soaped-towel when sores were present.) Is this absolutely true? I can definitely notice that I can't read signs clearly than before since it blurs.

3rd week, I saw two pimple-like rashes without heads present on the left side of trunk. Also there are two rashes on the lower back. I have light skin and these two rashes didn't turn dark as some of ars symptoms described. 4th week, I noticed two more rashes that look exactly same in the left side of trunk again but different location. Is this sign of hiv? I know Callie advised me not to look at the symptoms from online articles but I can't stop worrying when I develop new symptoms that I have never had before. They say not everyone show rashes but when they do, they usually show up on the trunk and within 4-6 weeks. Is this coincidence? I am still in window period and it's seriously killing me. Can I please hear honest, accurate answers please?

Lastly, I have had pimples on the right-side chin. I was pimple free for number of years so this also concerns me. Anything related?
It's just too many unprecedented symptoms to be coincident.

Those are the main concerns I have right now. Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:10 am 

Hi Jimmy. I can certainly attest that looking into symptoms is bad if you have a tendency to think the worst. I didn't have a single clue about HSV until I joined this forum and then I couldn't stop obsessing about it. I could have you talk to my doctor who saw me for everything from mysterious pimples on my butt, to razor rash and general irritation. On average, I went once a week for something I thought was a symptom of herpes. She did a swab test for me in September that was negative, but that wasn't good enough to alleviate the fears so she recently performed a bloodtest which came back negative for HSV2. I think whenever you discover that something has happened to your body that is out of your control, it is natural to panic about other things. But you are letting the fear of HIV control your life instead of you controlling the fear. A friend once said to me "If anyone could will themself to have Herpes, it would be you because you are so focused on it" and I have to say the same thing to you Jimmy. You are letting your life be controlled by something you don't know that you have and it is making you miserable. Doctors are telling you the chance is rare and you are still looking for symptoms. Have you ever thought that perhaps the stress you are going through is causing your vision issues and the stress about that is causing the rash and the stress about that is causing the pimples? Worrying will only hurt you in the end as stress is a huge part of immune deficency. Imagine if you put this much effort, this much obsession into fighting HPV? Into taking care of your body? Into enjoying the other parts of your life? Jimmy is more than a couple of STDs. Remember that!!!

Now, stop entering symptoms in your computer and by all means stop reading about HIV. Get tested when it is appropriate and I would honestly talk to a councellor about your fears and try to find some peace with your diagnosis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:36 pm 

Thanks for your kind advise.

I wouldn't have worried so much if new symptoms don't appear that coincide the range of period listed on a website or information given by clinicians.
Although I didn't sleep with a prostitute nor had a vaginal sex with a female, I am still in high risk among the low chance of contracting hiv. I also have to support my family and my girlfriend which is pretty much the only reason why I do not want to live the rest of my life waiting for a death sentence.

Just like many people in this forum or others affected by hsv/hpv, you probably have no idea what it's like and why these people are so freaking out day by day. If you had a taste of anxious period before getting tested for herpes, you would somewhat understand. I do also try to stay positive about these virus but the reality is that they are not JUST SOME STDS. :)

I'm sorry if I sounded very defensive but I'm just really fed up with people especially doctors who pretend to care about you and throw out statistics or general information to alleviate my anxiety. Their job should be to give accurate diagnosis but I have had so many conflicting advises. Surely, I just want to get this thing over with but I'm just stuck in hell wondering about what may happen during my window period. Believe me...I really tried and still trying so hard not to think about it since it's holiday seasons. If you'd made a mistake which unfortunately fall under high-risk category of possibly losing your life later and still in window period, you would understand. Also if you are not so rich and have to be responsible for your family, the amount of stress is unexplainable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:27 pm 

Quote:
Just like many people in this forum or others affected by hsv/hpv, you probably have no idea what it's like and why these people are so freaking out day by day. If you had a taste of anxious period before getting tested for herpes, you would somewhat understand. I do also try to stay positive about these virus but the reality is that they are not JUST SOME STDS.

I guess you didn't read any of my other posts. I have been diagnosed with HPV. I "was" worried about contracting HSV which is why I went to my doctor several times before I was tested. When I was first diagnosed with HPV, I freaked out...when I first read about the possibility of HSV (primarily from this forum), I freaked out...but over time I have learned that freaking out and making an STD the center of your universe will only make your stress level higher which in turn will lead to other "possible" symptoms. The best thing to do is to stop reading about symptoms because until you have the official blood test that indicates that you do not have HIV, there really isn't anything that anyone is going to be able to tell you to convince you that HIV isn't a possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:46 am 

I'm sorry I didn't read thoroughly about your post. I know I should stop worrying but I feel like a prisoner awaiting for a death sentence. I have an another month to pass the window period and I am just hoping I can be virus-free cured by god...This all seems like a one horrible nightmare.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:35 am 

jimmy1223 wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't read thoroughly about your post. I know I should stop worrying but I feel like a prisoner awaiting for a death sentence. I have an another month to pass the window period and I am just hoping I can be virus-free cured by god...This all seems like a one horrible nightmare.

From all accounts, HPV isn't a life sentence and is so prevalent that you are more likely to contract HPV in your lifetime then be HPV free. It doesn't help the stigma of having an STD, but you are definately not alone and you can certainly do things like eat better, sleep better, destress (BIG ONE for your immune system) and stop smoking (if you smoke).

HSV 1, although incredibly unfortunate to have contracted genitally, is still considered the less severe of the 2 possible Herpes viruses (if you can see that as a silver lining) because reoccurances are often only once a year and from what I've read, if someone already has been exposed orally to HSV 1, they have a significantly less chance of contracting it genitally.

As far as your concern about HIV goes, I do understand because the thought of having something that could drastically change your life based on one poor choice is nerve wracking...but (again with the silver lining) there are millions of people who have HIV and are leading incredibly productive lives. Caught early enough, there are lots of options to help someone who has HIV to keep it from turning into AIDS. I know the symptoms are scary..they are very general and could also be displayed by someone who does not have HIV and the reason for that is because they want people to get tested if they suspect they have HIV or exhibit those symptoms and haven't been tested (and have been engaged in high risk activities). From all accounts, you are doing the right thing, being tested, keeping proactive...but I would seriously encourage you to find positive things to do in the meantime to boost your immune system and address your HPV.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next