ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 am 

Heya Jimmy! Glad to hear that the HIV nightmare is off your back now.......keep on taking those deep breaths!! Last thing we need you to do is be on these forums and fall out of your chair due to stress O_o

Fortunately for me, my HPV seems to be more or less suppressed at this point....there's a bump or two inside the vagina for me that I'm not sure what it is, but I don't have 11-12 lesions like I used to.

Hope both you and your girl are doing well! Although it's not such a looming presence for me, I hope to keep visiting these boards and helping you all the way I was helped :)

Keep checking in with us and let us know how things are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm 

Thank you guys for the response. I came online almost everyday for your answer, Fredo. =)

The reason why I find this forum very helpful is because you can't find exactly answers even at hospitals. Sometimes, you guys are more knowledgable.

Fredo...I want my gf to get pap done routinely because I am high risk candidate to transmit either hpv or herpes to her that I want to be cautious. I will be in hell if I transmit any of those to my gf.

Also, I just want to ask you a question as always. =) Sorry.

I've noticed a black dot (not a bump or blister) on the side of my tongue. It looks as if someone put a dot with a marker. It's like a size of a tip of ball-pen. Any suggestions? HPV? Herpes? I have not taken any drugs, I don't smoke, or ate anything unusual. It formed just today and I also have noticed mild bump on my lips along with tingling sensation. Hope they don't turn into a blister cuz then it's almost certainly oral herpes.

I have trouble breathing (it's very significant. I have to breath harder whether I am up or sitting. Dr. said I was dehydrated but I still feel same with plenty of liquid. Herpes? Lung infection? what kind of testings can I do to find out? This is really painful and hard to deal with.

So many Drs seems to take my problems lightly and think I am overstressing psychologically. I guess no one really would take care me seriously with my symptoms that are on-going.

Despite of all the whinning, you have been always trying to help me. Thanks Fredo and Aokanojo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I've noticed a black dot (not a bump or blister) on the side of my tongue. It looks as if someone put a dot with a marker. It's like a size of a tip of ball-pen. Any suggestions? HPV? Herpes?

Hey buddy. Hard to speculate what might be causing that. What you're describing is not characteristic of HPV or HSV, but the only way to sort that out is having someone at the clinic examine it for you.

I have trouble breathing (it's very significant. I have to breath harder whether I am up or sitting. Dr. said I was dehydrated but I still feel same with plenty of liquid. Herpes? Lung infection? what kind of testings can I do to find out? This is really painful and hard to deal with.

I can only give much the same answer here; not something you'd say "AHA! This is very likely related to HSV" but I'm not not in position to adequately address what is the most likely cause. Do you think it might have something to do with all the stress and anxiety? Is that what some of the healthcare providers are saying?

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 am 

Thanks, Fredo.

Strangely, the spot disappeared next day. I described the situation to the doctor and he couldn't figure out what may have caused it. He said it's usually not a threat to you if it goes away.

I just have been wanting to make sure I locate problems in initial stage to prevent from serious medical problems down the road. I understand I am anxious and I've been trying to stay calm about my on-going problem by talking to psychologist and so on. It's always great to hear your honest, straightforward, direct answers from you. Thanks...Fredo.

My doctor said it was probably due to anxiety but also could be asthma. Lung test (blowing air through the tube to measure the pressure) came out normal so he didn't suspect any asthma at this point but wanted me to try inhaler. I didn't want to take it when he doesn't know for sure.
Also, there was little bump which believed to be a hemorriod but he just prescribed some cream to reduce (not eliminate) the bump near anus. I asked him why can't you remove it and he said you shouldn't worry about it and apply the cream so it will reduce the size and itching sensation.

Post subject: Question to Fredo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:05 am 

It's been a little while, Fredo. I'm doing a lot better than before both physically and psychologically.

Got a question:

I had a cold for two days and I slept on my brother's bed. I had severe constant coughing and I'm afraid I may have shed hsv-1 since he slept on the same bed within half an hour.

Could my brother contract hsv-1 by sharing same bed while I had severe cold with constant coughing?

Some online articles say it's possible whereas others say it has to be in direct contact (kissing/sexual activity). My brother started coughing on the very next morning and I'm worried if it's just cold I may have passed on to him or hsv-1.

Thanks, Fredo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
My brother started coughing on the very next morning and I'm worried if it's just cold I may have passed on to him or hsv-1.

No. Nope. Nein. Nada. Non. Ne. Ni. Nyet.

Get the picture? :D

Don't worry about this one, old pal.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:14 pm 

yes, sir. Thanks. =)

So virus can not live more than a min once it's exposed in the air.
Transmission is almost always in direct contact, right?

Someone I knew has said she contracted herpes from her father-in-law
who had hsv-1 with active lesions by sharing a towel. I thought you could still shed without active lesion from physically sharing stuff. I may have been wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 am 

How are you, Fredo?

It's been a little while since I posted and I just have some new questions.

1) Two weeks have been passed I have circumvallate papillae/taste buds. I'm not too concerned as my doctor said it's normal but what worries me is that I have white patch throughout my tongue. You said it's probably from cold but I still have them even after I recovered. I have bitter taste and extremely burning sensation. Seriously burning! Any sign?

2) I recently had vaginal sex with my girlfriend for the first time since contracting hsv-1 genitally by receiving oral sex from a promiscuous girl with oral hsv-1. I'm not on suppressive therapy but I used condom, no lesions, condom didn't break, she doesn't have STD, no oral sex. Is she at risk?

3) I noticed bad odor in genital area while having sex. She's been having bad breath (significantly) after I had sex (including oral sex). Any signs of infection (HPV, HSV, Fungal)?

4) On my shaft of penis, there is discoloration with no pubic hairs. They are not previously treated with liquid nitrogen for warts treatment (different area). Is it normal?

Thanks, Fredo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Jimmy,

I'm not sure to what the symptoms you mention can most likely be attributed, so ask your doctor if you're uncertain. Bitter taste, burning, odors, bad breath, and discoloration are not characteristic of HPV or herpes.

Anytime there's sex there will always be some risk. Genital HSV-1 isn't likely to be as active as HSV-2, especially without symptoms, but it's hard to say "the risk is XYZ."

Sorry I can't help more!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:10 am 

Fredo,

I just had a blood test done last week (about 4 months after the contact).
Basically, culture came back positive and blood test came back negative.

Can I have a negative result for herpes blood test:

-simply by lab error?

-because I've been exercising 2hrs/day, 5times/wk to increase my immune system or it has no affect on herpes screen test whether you exercise or not?
Can herpes become dormant and give out negative result if you build strong immune system?

I am planning on retaking the test in 4 weeks but I'm a bit confused. Below is my result from a doctor:

Your test for Herpes (HSV 1/2) is normal/negative.

HSV 1 Specific IgG <0.90 <0.90 Index
HSV 2 Specific IgG <0.90 <0.90 Index

Reference Range:
<0.90 Negative
0.90 - 1.10 Equivocal
>1.10 Positive

This test will differentiate between HSV 1 and HSV 2. It
should not be used to determine a disease state. If the test
is negative in cases of suspected HSV, the test should be
repeated in 4-8 weeks. Approximately 0.3% of HSV may be
deficient in the glycoprotein detected in this assay and
would give a false negative test result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jimmy,

It seems like there's a very small risk of having a false negative on a type-specific HSV blood test after four months. These blood tests are based on detecting antibodies to herpes, not the virus itself, and this would not be influenced by whether or not the virus is latent or not. Exercising would also not impact your blood test.

Ask your health care provider to help you sort out your test results.

Take care!
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:04 pm 

Thank you for your prompt reply, Fredo.

I am continuously receiving contradicting answers from doctors.
Some say I don't have hsv-1 because blood test came back negative 4 months after the exposure but others say I have it because culture result initially came back positive. Generally, lesion culturing has low false-positive rate and more reliable/accurate than blood test according to my research. But, blood test has 0.3% error which is relatively low.

At this point, I can only wait few months to retake the blood test unless there is obvious lesions may develop. In herpes forum, someone has mentioned that some individuals with hsv-1 can take up to a year to develop anti-bodies and may not show up on blood test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:34 am 

I've rcvd a msg from my doc stating this is not unusual phenomenon...
I was hoping for the smallest possibility of good news.

Thanks anyways.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5