ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need some information
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:24 pm 

Hi, Three years ago I contacted HPV and was dx 6 months later. I had two abnormal paps. The next three have been clear.

I have a new partner, we used a condom and then he complained, so I opted to not use one. I sent him to the VA for testing prior. No blood test they said. We both have not had another partner in about a year. After a month or so I had another pap..clean. After 4 months, I came back from a trip..we had sex...he said that day he broke out in a boil type/water on the cap and red itchy bumps on the penis and on the back of his neck. He said he also had oozing. We did not have sex again after that episode. He has gone to the VA and they have him on penicillin shot in the rear for three times.

My partner, has had stap infections from bug bites, three times in the last 8 or so months, a tick bite 2 times and drugs to take care of each. His immune system is down.

What could it be? Can he have HPV from me as a carrier? I am waiting for the VA to come up with a DX so I can go back to my doctor...Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Hello stardreamt and welcome to our boards.

We can't offer speculation about what might be the cause of your partner's symptoms and if this is still unclear, hopefully his clinic can soon explain to him what might be happening. Although the symptoms of HPV can differ from person to person, what you've described in your email isn't characteristic of the virus.

Regardless, you're right in that it's a good idea for you to speak with your own health care provider to see if there is anything they recommend for you. General STI screening, for example, would be good to consider just as a precaution (not specifically due to any symptoms mentioned in your post...).

Re: your own HPV diagnosis some years ago, you might find it helpful to review some previous discussion on this board about the immune response to the virus: http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18

Hope this helps and good luck to you both.

Best,
Fredo
HPV Board Moderator

Post subject: Please help me with this
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:39 am 

Fredo: Continuence of my last message...my partner went to the VNA and DX was he had a virus no sex com dis..re: HPV....they checked the tick bites nothing..he also had a very bad sore throat for 2 weeks..he told them his girlfriend has HPV prior, they said to stay clear of her..If ever he breaks out again, to high tail it to a lab, instead of waiting. He had been given a shot of penicillin.

My questions: Could a shot of penicillin cure it? Is there a blood test to find out if a person is a carrier? Or how do you find out if you are a carrier? This is putting a great toll on our relationship and the VNA have been very bad in their ways.....the time before this he went in and they embarrased the hell out of him, saying he would have to sign up with the state as a sexual disease carrier. He was beside himself, that was before DX...Thank you..stardreamt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Hello again Stardreamt,

I'm sorry the situation at the clinic has been so unhelpful, and it sounds like it's added stress to an already difficult situation. Not sure if you had a chance to review the link I included in my first post to you but if not, take a look at that for some insight on HPV and the immune response over time. I think you'll find it helpful.

Re: your question "Could a shot of penicillin cure it?" - penicillin is an antibiotic that can cure different bacterial infections, but is not used on a virus like HPV. It sounds as if your partner is having difficulty getting information at his clinic, which is frustrating, but they're the best ones to help him sort out just what he was diagnosed with. Sounds like this is still somewhat unclear?

There is no HPV test approved for clinical use with men, and even the one licensed for use with women isn't designed or approved as a general means of checking one's infection status, in other words, to see if someone is a "carrier" of HPV.

I don't know what to tell you about someone potentially having to "sign up as an STI carrier." I am no expert on laws and policies that different states might have in this area, but I've never heard of this. Usually "reporting" an STD means statistical data, and I know many health departments have programs where they will help someone diagnosed with some types of STIs contact their sexual contacts to get them in for testing/treatment. A call to your local or state health department should be able to clear up what "reporting" means for your state. Wish I could help more!

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]