ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: just found out part 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:59 am 

Sorry to be a little confusing with the he/she. I had a nurse from my OBGYN call and tell me about the abnormal cells and not to worry to just come back in 6 months for a re-pap. That was from my yearly exam. When I went back for my 6 months for the re-pap my dr. told me that I'd have to caome back every 6 months and I asked why. That was when he told me. I am only assuming they did the HPV test as well from his comment, that I have it. I just can't beleive they knew (the dr.'s office) for 6 months and didn't tell me.
He was very on-chalant, like it was no big deal, almost like it was a cold. He didn't tell me anything else, not what to do as far as taking care of myself, nothing, other then I'd need to have my pap every 6 months and it may cause cancer.
As for me avoiding stress, very difficult. Lately I have so much other things going on in my life that I'm more stressed then usual. This is what really gets me, I have no symptoms, never had any. Now I feel paranoid too. All they did was a pap, I've had no other tests at all. I do plan on calling for my pap results this week from Friday's test.
I guess my biggest fear is being alone and no one wanting me. I'm 31, I have my whole life ahead of me and will be alone. I'm embarassed, ashamed, I feel useless, helpless, dirty... I still don't understand... WHY ME?
I'm glad I found this site. I'm petrafied of what may happen because of the horror stories I've heard....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:17 am 

Next time you talk to your obgyn's office, or the doctor, ask them if they did an HPV test. Just to be sure. Perhaps they did, and for some odd reason, failed to mention it to you. If so, not good in my opinion. Most of the time people don't even know what that is until they get it. Then when they hear those simple three letters that send us into a spiral of depression, "STD"...they should know how a person will react to news like that. I'm not surprised at the attitude like it's nothing. There's a lot of people who feel that way, but when you're first diagnosed, it's hard to see it like that. Like I previously mentioned, it's probably because it is so common, it isn't a big deal to them. The immune system can fight it off, and put it in remission, but there's always a chance it could come back. Some people would argue and say that it's no longer in your system at all. Problem is there's no real proof. Some people can go years, and never have symptoms again. Then sometimes, for whatever reason, it could pop back up.

My dr wasn't very forthcoming on taking care of myself either. Course taking care of ourselves is a given, but I may have been more inclinded to get off my fat tushy if they explained it to me. :lol: I didn't know about boosting my immune system and such. I ended up finding out that from going to message boards like these. She was good about telling me right off the bat I had HPV. She just never really explained it to me about all HPV is, and what else can pop up from it. She had me calm about the cancer thing. She said (and I've read this) that it's very rare that it turns to cancer. Just so long as you keep up with your paps like they tell you, and they can monitor your progress. That my body's natural immunity should help me heal up my cervix. Just can take a while.

I know what you mean about trying to avoid stress. I'm like a major stress monkey! :lol: It is hard to avoid that with some folks. I also understand your biggest fear. That's one of my major problems right now. It's what's been the cause of my stress as of late, and of course my depression. In my case, I've met someone, but he has no idea. I've gone back and forth if I should tell him. I know when I do, he'll probably bolt. I wish I could give you more words of encouragement there. I really do. I know there's several people who're HPV positive that go on to have healthy relationships. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel those things less. It'll take time. You did nothing wrong. You're not a dirty person. Unfortunately this damn virus is just too common and easily passed. So many people have it, and just don't even know. :?

Yeah. I've read all kinds of stories on message boards and articles online that have me scared to death. I just pray that I don't end up one of those stories. That I can be one of the more positive ones. Hang in there the best you can. You can always come here if you have any questions, or even if you need to vent. Fredo, the forum moderator, is a good source of info. He's usually on here weekdays. He does his best to answer what he can with the knowledge he has. When in doubt about something, or something comes up that you're really concerned about, then try contacting your obgyn. That's what I'm trying to do. It's been about a year for me since my diagnosis. Due to my overwhelming paranoia as of late, I'm going in on Monday to have some bumps looked over. If they end up being nothing, at least they can help me understand what I'm seeing.

I'm sorry this is happening. Just hang tough the best you can. You'll get through this. It may not seem like it, but there's also a lot of positive stories out there of people who've beaten it.

:hugs:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]