ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 pm 

OFG,

Glad to hear the colpo went well for you! I found that my second wasn't nearly as bad as the first. Should you have your results this week? Also, did your doctor do an ECC to check the cervical canal?

Hmmm, I would almost say the LEEP was easier than the colpo for me, but neither were that bad. With the LEEP, I didn't feel anything -- not even the anesthetic being administered. There was only slight discomfort in that area the evening afterward and then nothing after that. The ONLY thing that is annoying about the LEEP (and I don't know if this happens to everyone) is that the anesthetic makes you shaky and kinda makes your heart race; it sort of gives a feeling of nervousness too. But, if you're prepared for that to happen, it won't be alarming and it only lasts a few minutes.

Yes, hpv is the culprit behind the AIS. I've heard that hpv-18 usually causes this. Since I wasn't too happy with the first two gyn/oncs I saw, I've actually got another appt scheduled for a few weeks from now!

Thanks for having faith that my situation will be okay! And please let me know if you have any other questions about the LEEP procedure that I can answer for you. Also, if it makes you feel any better, the whole thing only takes about five minutes. I was in and out of my doctor's office in half an hour that day!

Yings -- I'm pretty sure you would still be a candidate for another LEEP at this point, but I hope that doesn't have to happen -- hopefully this cryo fixed things for you. I never had cryo done, but having had a LEEP, I would recommend that to anyone -- additionally, it's more precise and my doctors told me it causes fewer complications typically.

If after more procedures have to be done and you're still having problems, I would think a doctor would take more drastic measures. Even if they don't want to do a hysterectomy, some places (and there aren't that many) will do a trachelectomy, which removes the cervix but leaves the uterus for fertility. Even if you don't think you have a use for your uterus right now, I would think you might want to hold onto it just in case! Good luck with your next steps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the info, Daphne! The thing is, I can't have children anyway. I have rods in my spine which extend from about T2-L3 (almost my shoulders to my hips) from scoliosis. The second vertebrae off of my hip is also fractured from pitching in softball with the rods in my spine. That said, it would be horrible for me to carry a child with all of my spine problems. I've always wanted to adopt, as my brother and aunt are adopted.
You can see why I'd rather them have everything taken out than go through years of this anguish. It causes a lot of emotional damage every time I see my PAP smear (my doctor has a neat little device which lets me see everything as she's performing the PAP, doing the Colp, doing the LEEP, etc). My fiancee is okay with it, too; he's known for the past few years there's little chance of having children naturally.
Menopause while I"m in my 20s will not be a fun time, but I just can't take all of this waiting and getting calls that my treatments aren't working!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

Well, sounds like you have a few options then to discuss with your doctor. One question you might want to ask is that if you have your cervix and uterus removed, will the hpv then possibly attack your vagina instead? It's rare, but you might want to see what your doctor says.

Also, I think in your case they should be able to do a hysterectomy, but not take the ovaries, which I think should prevent you from hitting menopause early. Again, something I'm sure your doctor will have advice on!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject: LEEP again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

So, I had another LEEP done yesterday. I had one performed last July, cryotherapy done in February and now another LEEP. 3 treatments in less than a full year.
My last iodine test was fine, but when the PAP results came back, they called my mom and told her I needed another LEEP right away. I just had cryotherapy 3 months ago! They didn't tell us whether it was CIN 2, 3 or what... and now they're afraid it might be in my cervical canal since it's not on the surface.
I would assume that, if I get another abnormal result, they would take more drastic measures? I can't imagine they would be able to perform yet another LEEP! I'll find out if anything more severe was found on the parts extracted next week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 pm 

Yings,

So you had a biopsy taken with this last pap? Hopefully that will give a better idea of what's going on. Also, did they do an ECC on you at your last check-up? That's the only way to find out if something is going on in the cervical canal.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

Daphne wrote:
Yings,

So you had a biopsy taken with this last pap? Hopefully that will give a better idea of what's going on. Also, did they do an ECC on you at your last check-up? That's the only way to find out if something is going on in the cervical canal.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Thanks so much for the support! I guess it was just moderate dysplasia, HPV and chronic cervicitis (my cervix is inflamed nearly every time I have a PAP... for the past few years). My mom still is a bit worried and is going to get a 2nd opinion from an oncologist. My father works with a man whose wife works with cervical cancer patients, so she's going to refer us to someone. The dysplasia has not gone away since it was first detected, regardless of treatment. It's not cancer, but it's certainly not going away.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4