ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV More then one?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:35 am 

Could I have HPV more than one strain at a time?

I have a two common wart on my leg but I wasn't sure if I could have maybe contracted genital HPV and surppress those warts because of the one strain already visable?

I've so confused with all the media coverage and should I get or not get the vaccination. I've done so much research and it seems the only worry I have now is...do I already have it and not know it!?...Its been 3 years since my last partner and I've changed my life since then. I used to be a heavy smoker and very overweight. I'm just so fearful ( even though I haven't had an abnormal pap or visable signs ) that at any given time I could have HPV hiding in my body. I'm afraid to start a relationship with someone because of my past sexual partners ( not that I have reason to believe that had it ) but what if they did and didn't know.

Ugh! Please help...I am such a confused mess. I've read so much but feel more worried then ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

You're not alone in being confused, let me tell you. The HPV vaccine is recommended routinely for females ages 11-12, and as catch-up for those 13-26 who have yet to receive it. Ask your health care provider what they recommend for you.

There are many different types of HPV and it's not uncommon to have more than one. Keep in mind that the HPV types that cause common warts on the legs are different from those that are found with genital skin, and immunity developed to the HPV types that caused the warts on your leg would likely have little if any effect with a genital HPV infection.

HPV is very common, with most sexually active people likely to contract the virus at some point. Most never know it, though, and the immune response does seem able to clear the infection in due course for most (although women need regular Pap tests as a precaution). Concern over HPV should probably not deter you from seeking relationships, if that's what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: =)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:31 pm 

Is it very common to not find out until years later that you have a HPV even though you've never had any symptoms. I know that it is possible but is it that overly common? I'm very sorry to come off a little odd but I really do appreciate your help and from the websites I've read it basically gave me the impression that I have it and I just have to wait to find out. Really I do sincerly appreciate you helping, I'm just so anxious from what I have already read. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

HPV can be diagnosed weeks, months, or years after exposure. Most of the literature on the subject refers to a common incubation period of up to 8 months or so, but there's no real limit.

Keep in mind that the vast majorit of those with HPV (anywhere from 50-80% of the population, estimated!) will never be medically diagnosed. Ask your healthcare provider what sort of testing they may recommend for you; this may involve routine Pap tests, or perhaps an HPV DNA test is appropriate.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]