ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:12 pm 

I am 27 and although diagnosed with HPV, my doctor thought that it wouldn't hurt for me to get the vaccine. Even though it has not been proven to stop progression or reverse ... why not try. I called my insurance (United Healthcare) and explained I was 27 and wanted the vaccine. They said that it would be covered. So, I excitedly got the first of three shots in January and three months later I was told that I had been denied because of my age. I appealed the decision and was even able to get the tracking number of the conversation I had when I was told that it would be covered. I just received the decision from United Healthcare that although I was told the wrong thing ... it was still rejected. I now owe $300 for the shot and cannot get the other two required shots.

Does anyone know of any financial assistance I can attempt to apply for to get assistance in paying this? I do plan on writing a letter to Gardasil. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:25 am 
Site Admin

You can visit Merck's vaccine patient assistance plan online at http://www.merck.com/merckhelps/vaccines/home.html. I don't know if you'll be eligible because at the vaccine is only licensed for females up to age 26, and not to treat existing cases of genital warts or cervical cell changes, but it can't hurt to take a look.

I'm really sorry about this experience with your insurance company! As if you don't have enough stress already... I'm sure you've done this already, but maybe explain to them (or have your doctor submit a statement) that in his/her opinion the vaccine was something you needed even though you fall outside the guidelines.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:45 pm 

Just as an update, I have contacted the following asking for assistance with my appeal:

• Missouri Department of Health – Office on Women’s Health
• The National Women’s Health Information Center
• The National Cancer Institute
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
• American Cancer Society
• Gynecologic Cancer Foundation
• United Healthcare
• Merck Vaccine Patient Assistance

I also filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and my state attorney general

I am without a doubt NOT going to pay that $300. :twisted:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]